Pure wildcard ("*") allowed origins on app keys will no longer be recognized and will be fully deprecated

Notice to Trello Customers

If you are here because you encountered this error while trying to authorize an application:

Invalid return_url. Wildcard ("*") allowed origins are no longer supported. 
Contact the developer. See https://community.developer.atlassian.com/t/52093

Please contact support for that app and show them this message. If the app is a Trello Power-Up, you can find a Power-Up’s support email by going to the Power-Up’s listing a trello.com/power-ups and looking on the left side bar.

If you’re a Trello application developer, please keep reading.

Notice to Our Developers

Currently, we allow app keys to have pure wildcard allowed origins ("*"). They cannot be added anymore, but if a key had a wildcard origin from before that change was made, the key could continue to use the wildcard origin.

If your key is a legacy app key with a wildcard origin, you should see this message when visiting trello.com/app-key:

On November 4th, we will be fully deprecating wildcard origins, meaning that they will be completely ignored even for legacy app keys. Apps that depend on wildcard origins to complete their auth flow may no longer work. You must remove the wildcard origin and if appropriate, replace it with a real allowed origin of a service you control.

To remove a wildcard allowed origin:

1. Login to the account of your api key.
  2. Go to trello.com/app-key
  3. Scroll to the Allowed Origin section and delete your wildcard origin.

Note that wildcard subdomains are not affected by this change (e.g. *.atlassian.com).

For information about app key allowed origins, please see our documentation: Authorization

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 60 minutes after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

I added several URLs including:
https://<my site>.atlassian.net
https://trello.com
http://trello.com

But the External Import from Trello into Jira is still giving me the same error. Any pointers?

Has anybody cracked the Trello / Notion integration? Looking to embed trello as a board view into a notion page (dream scenario)

Currently showing this error
Invalid return_url. Wildcard (“*”) allowed origins are no longer supported. Contact the developer. See Pure wildcard ("*") allowed origins on app keys will no longer be recognized and will be fully deprecated

Hi @ChadCrenshaw and others,

These changes are for app developers. If you’re having issues with an app (such as External Import, or the Trello/Notion integration), please contact support for that app and show them the error you encountered. There’s nothing you can do on your side as a customer to resolve this issue.

Our app is not a legacy app key with a wildcard origin, there’s no such option in the UI. Yet, users are reporting the issue. Given a few reports have come in recently, maybe there’s a problem on the Trello side of things?

@Jireh I’m trying to import a project from Trello to JIRA using the the import wizard and I’m getting “Invalid return_url. Wildcard (”*“) allowed origins are no longer supported. Contact the developer. See Pure wildcard ("*") allowed origins on app keys will no longer be recognized and will be fully deprecated”. Can you help me with this? I think atlassian owns the importer plug in?

Hey David, you are talking about about the diagrams.net Power Up, right? https://trello.com/power-ups/59e60179a83e5a5354c68bec

Our records show your app key does in fact have a wildcard allowed origin. Please double check the app key your Power-Up authorization is using.

If you need more assistance, please visit Dev help service desk and I’ll personally attend to your ticket.

OK, thanks. We’ll take a look at the app key. But then, does that mean that this rule only started being enforced this week and not on 4th November?

Its rollout completed yesterday, but we had started rolling out the change starting November 4th.

OK, to explain the reason I didn’t understand this thread, I thought the original post was from September 2016, not 16th September.

1 Like

Hi Lindsay, thanks for raising this issue! It should be resolved now, could you please try again?

Connectors in Power Automate seem to be affected by this change too; which is moving users from Trello to alternatives. Is there any information available that those connectors will be fixed? Or any workaround? Thanks in advance!

Saludos a todos.
Tengo este problema para integrar “Trello - Integromat” que debo hacer?

Invalid return_url. Wildcard (“*”) allowed origins are no longer supported. Contact the developer. See Pure wildcard ("*") allowed origins on app keys will no longer be recognized and will be fully deprecated

Hi everyone.

Im adding a shortcut on ios. When I try to Allow access to Trello App (see screenshot), I get the error that brought me here.

“ Invalid return_url. Wildcard (“*”) allowed origins are no longer supported. Contact the developer. See Pure wildcard ("*") allowed origins on app keys will no longer be recognized and will be fully deprecated

I understand there’s nothing I can do from my side, since the app that presents the error is Trello itself, so I thought I’d just report it.

I have an iphone 7, software version 14.7.1.

1 Like

I am trying to link the Chrome extension of Taco in with Trello and getting this wildcard error.
I’ve tried removing the extension, updating Chrome etc but always the same.
Looking in the Addon store within Trello and Taco is not there.

Hello all!

New to Trello and trying to add the Trello web part to a SharePoint site but am receiving the error in the original post after clicking “Login” on the O365 connector.

Anyone have advice?

Thanks in advance!

Hi Jireh,

I have a Chrome Extensions called Tracey Bug Cop. I have removed all wildcards and replaced with:

But I am still getting the same error when trying to login to Trello from the Chrome Extension.

Can you please help?

Thanks,

Matt