Accessing Forge Storage externally and the future of Forge Storage

Hello,

I’d like to know if there’s any way to access the Forge Storage from outside, for example from an AWS Lambda.
I’ve tried the Web Trigger functionality, but the url where the trigger can be called is generated, and can only be generated from within Forge.
We need to know where to access the Storage when a scheduled job starts outside of Forge, therefore we’d have to store this url somewhere else. Using another storage to store the location of the actual storage kinda defeats the purpose of using this system at all… Not to speak about the severe quota limitations.

My question is:

• Is there any other way to access the Storage API externally?
  • What are the plans with Forge Storage going forward, can we expect better functionality than a plain key-value store? The current implementation seems more like a proof-of-concept or a tech-demo, than a solution for real-world scenarios.
2 Likes

We ask ourselves the same question. Currently the Storage API doesn’t cover basic query functionalities. When we asked Johnny Ferguson (Head of Product Management, Ecosystem Platform) about it in the last Forge webinar he said: “RDBS [Relational Database System] is something we think we will probably have to support in a remote fashion for quite a while.”

That is why we now start implementing Forge apps with a remote backend on Firestore. Not ideal. But staying on Connect feels bad too. Maybe we can migrate our persistence layer back to Atlassian Cloud when Storage API or sth. else covers the requirements of data queries.

3 Likes

Here is @Johnny answering @JulianWolf’s question: Forge Roadmap Webinar: Q4 2021 - YouTube

Your workaround is exactly where I would have headed.

The Forge team knows that there are a lot of opportunities to add to the Storage API and have it on their roadmap as a future item: Trello

1 Like