Action Required - Atlassian Connect installation lifecycle security improvements

Hi @akhaneev ,
Do you have localBaseUrl configured in config.json of your ACE app like below and does it match the baseUrl from your atlassian-connect.json?

{
  "product": "jira",
  "production": {
    "localBaseUrl": "https://app.base.url",  # This is used to verify 'audience' claim
  }
}

Or if your app supports multiple baseUrls, you can add your base Url to allowedBaseUrls field, please have a look at comment I linked below.

I would love to keep the main announcement post updated but unfortunately there are some limits on editing the main content. For the purpose of documentations and guidelines, we will try to find better place to accomodate this in future so that we can always have the updated main content.

Hi @JulianWolf
That is the case for dev-mode only. It is not a new feature, and when your app gets published on the marketplace, it will start getting a single shared secret for all installs(including subsequent install) as it was before.
Coincidently, we actually were planning to provide unique shared secret per installs in close future. Here is the announcement that I’ve made just a moment ago which summarises this plan.

FYI, there is no additional actions required as long as your app works fine in dev-mode for multiple installs in different tenants.

1 Like

Hi @karanjagdish , this is only for jira-cloud and confluence-cloud apps.

1 Like

The app will always create a new version, regardless of the config file you choose to opt-in to this feature. But having it in config.json AND defaulting the behaviour to opt-in caused confusions. As a result it ended up creating new versions in Marketplace which may have not been the intention of the app developers.

Hi @HanjooSong, please correct me if I am wrong but doesn’t Jira Server/Data Center Addon installation hooks work the same way as the Cloud Addon install prior to the security changes highlighted here?

Could you please let me know if the same vulnerabilities (DoS and MitM) affecting the Cloud affect Data Centre/Server addons with the technical reasons as to why yes or no?

Hi @HanjooSong,
Thank you for your help. URLs seem to be case-sensitive.

Hi @HanjooSong
For us, MPAC ended up creating new version of the app even after this setting.

What do you mean by “your app descriptor did not change by setting "signed-install" field under "apiMigrations" section.”

And also, subsequent installations are failing with 401. How do we fix the 401’s?

We use ACE and upgraded to 7.4.0 and updated the descriptor to use signed-install

I wish this could have been more straight forward.

Looking forward to your response.

Thanks!
Lava

Hi @HanjooSong!

I don’t get @palbecki’s error myself, but it seems that the symmetric auth is still enabled even if I set the property. Looking at JwtAuthenticationFilter, it looks like the property it’s checking AtlassianConnectProperties.isAllowSymmetricAuthInstallCallback(), which I think would convert to atlassian.connect.allow-symmetric-auth-install-callback in a .properties file.

Does that sound right? Is it going to be stable from now on?

Correct, that property is to force asymmetric install callbacks only. The fallback to symmetric install hook is in place to make sure the apps does not loose any installations if anything goes wrong with this feature from our end.
In the future, a new version of ACSB will remove allow-symmetric-auth-install-callback and default to use symmetric install callback, this will happen right before the enforcement of this feature.

Hi @lavakumar.dukanam ,
MPAC creates new version when it finds any difference in the descriptor file.
If you are referring to your announcer-jira addon, I’ve checked that the most recent version introduced a signed-install field, and this has created a new version in MPAC as expected.
I think the guideline that made you confusing was for apps upgrading from 7.1.5 which I assume it is not for your case.

Also, could you please elaborate a bit more about 401 error you are getting for more further investigation? Such as attempted time and the product url, error message from your server will be helpful. Thanks!

@HanjooSong You’re right, i’m referring to announcer-jira addon.

Attempted time:
Aug 18 13:49:06
Product url:
Are you looking for descriptor-url?

errors:
After the upgrade the app is unable to authenticate and resulted in throwing
{} Authentication verification error (401): Could not lookup stored client data for XXX

uninstalling and subsequent installations are failing with the below error.
{} Authentication verification error (500): Could not lookup stored client data for XXX

Thanks
Lava

Hi @HanjooSong - Any update on this issue?

Hi @lavakumar.dukanam , May I ask what type of storage you are using? I see that the error message you posted indicates that it failed to query the app data from your storage.
You might also have more detail error stack trace from your server logs.

Hi @HanjooSong - we use postgres.
Nothing much on the logs. This is happening only after adding signed-install attribute to descriptor.
See the sample error log

Hi @lavakumar.dukanam
I can see from our end that, all installations(upgrades) were successful on 11th after the version up including lizardbrain.atlassian.net. However, on 18th, I see that there were many attempts to re-install, and these requests failed to receive a successful response from your app server.
Could you see what may have been changed from your app’s side between those time(Specially related to the db connection)?
Also, if the problem persists and need more help, please create a devhelp ticket with any information that may help with the investigation. Let me know the ticket number, so that I can follow up from there. Thanks!

Hi @HanjooSong

1. Changes should only be made to the install hook? In this step, only the install hook is specified, but in the documentation above you also write about the unistall hook.
  1. expectedIssuer is the iss parameter from the jwt token?
  1. It turns out that all the required attributes listed below that are contained in the jwt token must be checked in the install hook?
  • iss (mandatory)
  • iat (mandatory)
  • exp (mandatory)
  • qsh (mandatory)

Hi @Wladek ,

1. Change is made for install and uninstall hooks.
  2. Yes it is the iss parameter in the jwt token
  3. Yes, the claims you’ve mentioned are required and needs to be verified. Check this page if you need more information around these claims.

@HanjooSong
An error in the unistall hook does not stop the plugin uninstall action. For example: the unistall hook returns the status code “401 Unauthorized”, but the plugin is removed anyway. What is the point then adding these changes to the unistall hook?

Yes you are correct, the error response from the app server won’t prevent the apps from being uninstalled, but the goal of this change is to provide a secure way to ensure that the installation related callback requests are actually made from Atlassian by not relying on a shared secret(which we get reports for it being compromised occasionally and more importantly does not exist for the very first install callback).

Hi @OfirNir,
I want to test this scenario but don’t know where should I post this payload.
Can you help?

Thanks in advance.