Adding user properties for Manager

Our company just moved to using Jira in the Cloud for our ticketing system. We use Okta as our SSO provider and our lead person on that end was unable to sync user data such as employee manager, employee phone number, employee office location, etc. Now I, on the developer end, have been tasked with syncing that data via an API. This brings up a question for me.

1. How can I create these new user fields so that I can both push data to them via an API and be able to query against them via JQL? For instance, one of the needs is to be able to run a report for managers so they can view all tickets open for their direct reports.

I’m looking to achieve this without add-ons to avoid more costs. I’ve looked through a lot of API documentation and even some other community questions and have not been able to get anything working. Any help on this would be greatly appreciated.

Hi @zzAlamoFranco,

I’m not entirely clear about your needs, but you can create an app that defines custom fields against issues. Your app can populate these fields and search for issues matching the data in these fields. The relevant Jira module documentation is here: https://developer.atlassian.com/cloud/jira/platform/modules/issue-field/. For example, if you define an “assigneeTeam” field you could perform a JQL search to find issues assigned to a specific team. Your app would have to keep this field updated of course.

Alternatively, the JQL assignee in (accountIdA, accounting, etc) will find all issues that are assigned to users with specific Atlassian Account IDs so maybe your app can programmatically build and run queries such as this.

Regards,
Dugald

Hi Dugald,

I apologies for not being clear. I want to be able to create fields at the user level: employee manager, employee department, employee phone number, etc. I’d like to do this all via API calls or within the system itself. I’d like to avoid using an add-on or developing my own custom module.

The reason we need this is for reporting. The managers of the employees putting in the ticket would like to see a report of all open tickets within their group. So for example, let’s say I manage 12 employees. I want to know what tickets my team has open and how long they’ve been open.

Ideally I should be able to do this all within Jira, but I’m finding that is not the case. I’m looking for a solution that doesn’t involve me creating some custom app/add-on within the Jira ecosystem. I’m hopeful a combination of Jira settings and API calls can achieve this.

Hi @zzAlamoFranco,

Thanks for explaining your needs. You can store these fields as user properties. A user property is a type of entity property. However, be aware these properties will be visible to all users and even other apps. Also, only issue properties are searchable using JQL.

Regards,
Dugald

Hi @dmorrow,

Thank you for sharing the solution, I wanted to know is there a way i can bulk upload user properties ? and also is it possible to copy the user property to custom user picker field?

In my case i want to upload manager details for all emplaoyees and also i want to use this info to copy to some user picker field for other purpose.

Regards,
Vinod