An update on our investigation to solve intermittent iframe loading problems in Connect apps

Just to close the loop on my question, Atlassian support told me “it seems like it is unrelated to the problem you have shared. We believe this might be a problem with the JavaScript framework”

They are going to raise a public Atlassian Connect JS API ticket for it. I’ll share that when I have it, just in case anyone comes across this here.

1 Like

Is one of the symptoms of this the JWT token being expired?
I have one install where I saw this problem in the app’s log. When I proactivly asked the customer if they were experiencing problems, they told me, “We quite often receive what looks like a timeout” and provided this screenshot:

Hey James - I’ll follow up on your question with the engineering team. Thanks!

EDIT: Also, here is the issue that James mentioned: [ACJS-1162] - Ecosystem Jira

2 Likes

Further to my comment about the JWT token is expired, the customer followed up today in response to some troubleshooting questions and told me:

It may be coincidence but we haven’t observed this since uninstalling the following:

I had already tested my app and SubSpace Navigation being installed together and didn’t notice any issues. So just a coincidence?

I don’t know if they have other apps running on the page.

Hi everyone,

This is an update to inform you that we are pausing our continued investigation into ACJS-1156.

Despite substantial investments in improved logging, fixes to mitigate potential root causes, and detailed analysis of the submitted problem reports, we have yet to identify a common root cause that could be affecting many apps.

Until we have new information, continued work on this problem has been paused so we can allocate more time on other bugs, security-related work and high impact projects (such as data residency) in Atlassian Connect.

I appreciate that this is not an ideal outcome. I share any frustration you may be feeling that a fix for this problem has been so elusive. We still suspect the problem may be related to a browser bug or quirk, which is why finding the problem has been so challenging. Analysis of detailed bug reports from some apps identified unique, app-specific bugs that were causing the same symptoms - so we also suspect that perhaps there is not one single problem, or if there is, it is less widespread than the total number of bug reports.

We will re-open work on this issue if new information comes to light that might help identify the problem.

If your app continues to experience these intermittent loading problems, please continue to report detailed bug reports (including a browser HAR file) to Atlassian via the Developer Support Service Desk so that we can route these details to the Connect team for investigation.

Thanks for your patience and understanding,
Joe.

1 Like

Analysis of detailed bug reports from some apps identified unique, app-specific bugs that were causing the same symptoms

I wonder how is it possible to be an app bug if the problem spans all apps at the same time (if occurs) (as presented on the screenshot below).

Would you be willing to share what kind of app bugs can cause the issue? We would love to check our app as the customers are still reporting the problem from time to time.

1 Like

Hey @jack - The symptoms covered by this bug report are very broad and so apps were reporting that they were affected by “this” problem, when it turned out the problem was a bug in the app or a different issue Some examples that were found to be causing problems in other apps included:

• Race conditions in React.js initialisation sometimes causing the load to time out
  • Slow load times of app REST APIs (>5s) on UI init causing the load to sometimes time out
  • ACJS-1156 being reported as the culprit, but it turned out to be a separate bug, [ACJIRA-2377] - Ecosystem Jira

In the screenshot you’ve posted, it is clear to see that something more widespread is going on. If you are able to capture HAR files with more information, please continue to report them to us.

@HeyJoe

Thank you for sharing more details.

Does the below relates to loading time of app panel/resources as defined in descriptor?

I’m asking because one of our apps load time is several seconds in development mode (way more than 5s and still to be optimised) but it never triggered the “time-out” error.

So, I would be glad to know more about this particular error you mentioned.

Thanks,
Jack