Build a cloud app, take home 95% of the profits for the first year

Hi everyone!

Starting today, all new cloud apps that are listed on Atlassian Marketplace will receive 95% of the revenue they generate in the first year. We’re drastically reducing our share to help you take the leap and put that cloud app you’ve been thinking about building on Marketplace. And no, this is not an April Fools joke!

Check out the blog for more information →

10 Likes

Maybe improve your documentation for starters :slight_smile:
That would help quite a lot.

2 Likes

@kmorales does it apply to cloud apps that previously had a server/DC version available? In other words, is a new cloud version added to existing Marketplace listing eligible for this program?

2 Likes

Well, “ok” news. But as a small vendor developer my experience is that nothing really happens the first year. It takes several years to really fire off. If you get success the first year, you are either lucky, hit a gem some big Atlassian partners liked, or a big company with a huge audience. Maybe Im wrong…

3 Likes

I hope you are wrong :grin:

@MichaNykiel great question: yes, it applies to those apps as well! :+1:

2 Likes

Hi @kmorales,
Are free cloud addon eligible to the 5% program by converting to paid via Atlassian ?
and until when this 5% program will be available ? I read somewhere that it runs until March 2022 , is that true ?

Hi @touchdownatlassiangm, that’s a good question. Let me figure out the answer and get back to you.

Regarding your other question, we don’t have a definitive end date yet. As it states here, we’ll be reviewing the program periodically and will update you when we do.

1 Like

Great. Waiting for your feedback :slightly_smiling_face:

@kmorales so… when will we be able to release bitbucket cloud apps as paid via atlassian? Or even some guidance on how to release non-free bitbucket cloud apps.

@touchdownatlassiangm I’m happy to report that yes, if you converted your free cloud app to Paid via Atlassian for the first time after April 1, 2020, you would be eligible for the 95% revenue share. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

@jan I’m afraid I don’t have a good answer for you. Paid via Atlassian Bitbucket apps is on a long list of things for our Commerce team to tackle, but I don’t have an estimate that would be helpful right now. Rest assured that as soon as it’s a possibility, you will hear about it on this forum. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Any update on this? It’s not mentioned anywhere publicly, support says they can’t get an answer from the team responsible even on how to release Paid via Vendor, and the Trello board with a roadmap is not mentioning Bitbucket at all.

:frowning:

1 Like

Even just an idea of when it’s expected to arrive if at all would be useful. I have a Bitbucket Cloud application about 95% ready to go, and if I had an idea about if Paid by Atlassian is coming (or not) it would allow me to know if I should be building my own billing system or not.

Building a payment system isn’t a small chunk of work, and I would hate to start building it now, when in say a months time I could just plug in and be done. I’d rather spend that time working on improving the plugin and testing it. Even a rough idea of which quarter would be enough to let me determine on the best use of my time.

2 Likes