Change publish date and author of blogs via the API?

I’m trying to do a bulk import from an existing blog into a confluence blog using the confluence v2 api. There doesn’t seem to be a way to set the author or to set the creation date. Is there something that I’m missing or is this basically impossible?

Hi @LachlanBarclay , welcome to the developer community!

Are you using a Connect app for this functionality? If so, you might be able to set the author by calling the Create API while impersonating them. See: User impersonation for Connect apps

However, I don’t believe there’s a way to change the creation date.

1 Like

No I’m just calling the v2 REST api using my own PAT. It would be great if I could set the creation date or publish date, and also set the author id, is there any chance that could be added to the API?

Hello @LachlanBarclay

Consider the implications of what you’re proposing. Imaging if someone were able create a page with defamatory and derogatory content, and set you as the original author of it, in the past.

Google ‘confluence change page author’ to see where the question has already been asked or discussed.

And as an admin I should have that right, after all, it’s my site. I notice that Atlassian agree with me because "Solving the ability to change the author of an existing page is on our priority list. " - [CONFCLOUD-7247] Ability to change the author of an existing page - Create and track feature requests for Atlassian products. - I am wondering if and when it will be added to the API.

Fair enough, but the change that is being proposed in CONFCLOUD-7247 will need to come with an additional record being created about who changed the author and when. As an admin, even you’d agree that you’d never want anyone, not even yourself, to have God-like rights to make silent changes to a company’s data without a record of the action.

As for when the change proposed in CONFCLOUD-7247 will happen… the creation date of the request will give you some idea of how long such changes take to happen. Lend your voice to that feature request, argue your case in that forum, and see what transpires :slight_smile:

Thanks for the question here!

Currently, we do not support updating a content’s publish date or author.

However, as brought up above - there are some new changes on the way to address CONFCLOUD-7247! We also plan to soon support the new fields that come with the changes in the API - both V1 and V2.

2 Likes

No, I disagree. There’s plenty of non malicious reasons to make changes like this.

Hi @SimonKliewer - the new feature has been launched but it doesn’t look like it works for blog pages and it also doesn’t look like it’s been added to the API… will the feature be added for blog pages and do you have a rough idea when it will be added to the API?

Hi @LachlanBarclay - I’ve reached out to the team responsible - they will follow up as soon as they are able!