Community.atlassian.com bug: Can't answer questions?

I’m unable (on some but not all posts) on community.atlassian.net to respond to questions. As a Marketplace Vendor, it leaves me feeling very rude to be accidentally giving customers the silent treatment.

I can add text to the “Suggest an answer” and hit “Answer” button to submit (with either mouse or keyboard controls). The page then refreshes, and my answer is nowhere to be found. It’s like talking to the void. There’s no error on the page, in the Javascript console or in network requests: it’s all just reloading. I’ve checked on multiple browsers and it’s not the result of content-blocking extensions.

I’ve found now I can answer some questions, but not others. Is it a spam filter thing? How can I get this resolved?

1 Like

Hi @henriseymour ,

I filed a ticket internally to our online community team. They will review it and get back to you.

1 Like

Thanks @Andrew_Golokha!

Was there a Support Desk I could have raised this in?

I went looking in Atlassian Support and ended up filing it as “Purchasing and licensing” since there weren’t any applicable categories. I was then told to go here or to the Ecosystem help desk - the latter even specifies that only critical bugs are to be reported there.

Hi @Andrew_Golokha,

I haven’t heard from anyone at Atlassian about this. Has it been investigated?

Hi @Andrew_Golokha

Are there any updates on this problem? Is there a way that I can raise a support request about this?

I’ve also hit dead ends discussing this in similar conversations on others’ Atlassian Community posts:

I’m customer support: I want to provide support contact details and links to docs – in my first reply, not an edit!

Henri

Hi @henriseymour. It looks I’ve missed your previous comment.
I’m afraid I don’t have a lot of insights into user community side, but I’ve updated the internal maintenance team about your request back in the day when you initiated this thread.
As I see one of community leaders shared a suggestion to your recent question.
Let me ping the team to see if there are any updates on this front.

I’ve brought up this case to the team’s attention.
Usually the cause of the problem is the way of editing/copy & pasting text.
Please check out Frequently asked questions - Atlassian Community (scroll down to How can I access the HTML editor? section).

Hi @Andrew_Golokha

I’ll try out pasting text from a text-only editor as Nic suggested and see if that can resolve the issue.

However, I can confirm that I’ve seen this problem when typing the response directly into the text field (no copying or pasting involved at all).

One note is that a typed email address automatically turns into a hyperlink. When pasting from a text-only editor, it stays as plain text and doesn’t appear to cause this error.

Adding a hyperlink using the tools in the text field also generally causes this problem.

If this only happened when pasting text with different content or link types, I would understand. Using the reply tools provided and still getting an error – only to be told invalid HTML has been removed, see no changes, and still not be able to submit a response – is very frustrating.

Henri