Connect App and user auth

I want to build a jira integration that mostly relies on webhooks to trigger events in an external system. Likely I will need api access for getting additional context/taking actions from the external system.

From what I have seen, a Connect App looks like the “best” (maybe only?) way to configure webhooks. It doesn’t look like that can be done with the 3LO apps.

But it doesn’t look like a Connect App is going to work for user auth. Users will need to be able to “sign in” with jira in order to link their atlassian user with their user in the external system. This seems like a good usecase for a 3LO app.

So the main question is, do I need to use a combination of both of these apps to accomplish this? When the 3LO apps support webhook api access, will that be the best solution? Anything else I’m overlooking here?

Thanks for any advice

Hi @DaveMeyer ,

I believe OAuth 2.0 (3LO) apps will soon be able to register and receive webhooks. According to Trello, this is targeted this month (June 2021).

Regards,
Dugald

2 Likes

Hi @DaveMeyer ,

A quick follow up: OAuth 2.0 (3LO) Webhooks announcement.

Regards,
Dugald

2 Likes

Great, thanks for the follow up @dmorrow!

1 Like

Hello @DaveMeyer I am in a similar situation where you were in when you started this thread. We are supporting the Jira integration from our webapp which allows import/export Jira issues from/in our webapp to Jira and vice versa.(we are using OAuth 1.0)

Now we have the use case of configuring the dynamic webhooks for the users who has integrated our product with Jira and OAuth1.0 is not allowed to make webhook API calls. Now, since webhooks API supports the OAuth2.0, one choice we have is to migrate from OAUth 1.0 to 2.0. BUT before I do that I just want to understand how this can be achieved by OAuth1.0 + Connect App.

I have looked around and found that it is possible BUT I want to take your advice on what could be the right thing to do? OAuth migration OR OAuth+Connect setup?

Also, if you have any reference for the implementation of connect app for this kind of use case then that would be great.