Connect apps that are using various Connect modules will require READ scope

@danielwester definitely interesting to hear other perspectives, thanks! But also curious to hear more about this:

If I look at the #remiebot channel in our Marketplace Partner Slack workspace, the amount of announcements is really limited. If this aggregated space is only about announcements, and not, like CDAC a mesh of everything, everywhere, all at once, do you still reckon you need automated filtering? To me, it seems like the noise would be far limited compared to having to find the announcements in multiple channels in between other types of communications.

Quality and the structure of announcements is all over the place

I guess that will always be the case, right? Regardless of channels. Comms are distributed over a lot of different teams and there is no single team / person responsible for them. That is why I mentioned having a separate FTE solely responsible for the aggregation. That might also bring about a more unified messaging.

Discussions on announcements arenā€™t necessarily about the announcements which causes the announcements to become zombie announcements

Agreed, and I donā€™t think discussions on announcements should happen on the (aggregated) announcement space. I liked the suggestion by @tpettersen to add the ā€œdiscuss on CDACā€ button.

1 Like

Yes - because we have different personas both within the ecosystem (you and me may not need it because we can easily classify and understand what to ignore) but depending on a userā€™s experience, what theyā€™re looking for to do their job- having Marketplace licensing rules change announcements next to Connect read scope changes is noisy.

2 Likes

I guess my assumption is that it will be harder for many Partners to find and filter the relevant resources if they are scattered over multiple channels than to learn how to ignore irrelevant announcements, but obviously milage may vary based on experience

1 Like

Thanks for chiming in mate! Appreciate the additional perspective :slight_smile:

want the extra noise ofā€¦Bitbucket platform changes

:cry: Donā€™t break my heart Daniel. Iā€™m still waiting for Customizer v2.

Too much filtering required

What if we had something like a dynamically generated RSS feed with:

• a giant set of topics with slide toggles that let you opt in or out
  • a ā€œRemieā€ toggle that turns them all on (and then you can opt out individually)
  • a ā€œDanielā€ toggle that lets you turn them all off (and then you can opt in individually)

Would something like that work for you?

Quality and the structure of announcements is all over the place

This is certainly a problem, but I think we need to solve this in whatever form the announcements take. Even a changelog for just Jira Cloud potentially has a very large number of teams contributing to it. Part of the goal with comms is to standardise the process (with guidance and potentially checkpoints for enforcement) so that the quality and structure is consistent.

Discussions on announcements arenā€™t necessarily about the announcements which causes the announcements to become zombie announcements (An example of this would be if I was posting about changelings on a thread about scope changes)

I might be misinterpreting this, but wouldnā€™t the changelog mean youā€™d have a way to just subscribe to announcements without the threat zombie forum threads?

It would be neat if the changelogs was backed by some type of database

:open_mouth: ā€” Iā€™m shocked, have we not spoken publicly about how changelogs are implemented yet? Iā€™ll give you three guesses what itā€™s built on.

2 Likes

You mean something like What's New at Cloudflare ? If so - yes. :slight_smile:

The issue is that as soon as there is an announcement discussion - thereā€™s a chance that there is new information exposed in the discussion that may not make it back to the announcement. Even if the chance of this is really low - it means that we then have to have track every discussion around the announcement).

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.