CustomFieldEdit on create screen

Hi there!

I saw the last announcement that says that CustomFieldEdit will be deprecated. I asume this will force us to do it with Custom UI.

I’m fine with that, but the problem I have with it, is that I can’t find a way to resize the modal window within the edit resource (customFieldType in my case). There is something that I’m missing?

Thank you beforehand!

Regards, Alex

Hi @Aleks , welcome to the Atlassian Developer Community!

This does not mean that you are forced to do it with Custom UI. Just to clarify, only the CustomFieldEdit modal will be deprecated as mentioned in the changelog. This means you can still use the existing UI kit implementation (with the assumption that you already have one), bump the @forge/ui version to 1.2.0, and then redeploy the app.

If you are a more visual person, here are some screenshots to hopefully clarify the change.

Prior to the change
Notice that it is shown as a modal

Bump the version of @forge/ui to 1.2.0
Notice that there are no modals on top of another modal

Hope this helps.

Ian

EDIT:
Linking this previous comment related to this Forge CLI version 4.3.1 and Forge core packages - 24 May 2022 - #4 by KamilRichert

2 Likes

Hi @iragudo

Thank you for clarifying! I’ve checked the post you linked and bumped the forge/ui package to the last version (1.2.0) and redeployed the app but I still have the modal on creation screen.

What I’m doing wrong?

1 Like

You’re welcome, @Aleks.

Can you double check if your project’s package-lock.json has been updated? Assuming you updated package.json, try running npm install so that package-lock.json will be updated and reference the latest @forge/ui version. Do another forge deploy after npm install.

Do let us know how it goes.

Hi @iragudo

I did it twice with no luck, It still have the modal screen.
I checked the package.json and seems good (version 1.2.0)

That’s interesting. I was referring to the package-lock.json if it was updated after calling npm install. Something like

"node_modules/@forge/ui": {
      "version": "1.2.0",
      "dependencies": {
        "fast-json-stable-stringify": "^2.1.0",
        "sha.js": "^2.4.11",
        "tslib": "^1.11.0"
      }
    }

Can you check (and maybe share a snippet of) this section?

Cheers,
Ian

Yes I’m sorry what I really meant is package-lock.json, my bad. Here is the snippet:

"node_modules/@forge/ui": {
        "version": "1.2.0",
        "dependencies": {
          "fast-json-stable-stringify": "^2.1.0",
          "sha.js": "^2.4.11",
          "tslib": "^1.11.0"
      }

Hi @Aleks ,

That looks correct. I tested playing around the versions of @forge/ui and every time I am getting the expected behavior - I cannot replicate what you are experiencing. I’m wondering why the changes aren’t being reflected on your instance after doing a forge deploy :thinking:

Here are some thoughts:

• Do you have a custom field with the same key installed on the instance? If so, try removing the possible conflict.
  • Have you tested on a different instance and see if you are getting the expected behavior.
  • Try uninstalling the app via forge uninstall < installationId> then install again via forge install. You can get the installationId when calling forge install list.

If none of these work, even installing on a different instance, kindly raise the ticket in Developer Support Service Desk so that we can investigate further.

Cheers,
Ian

Hi @iragudo

I did all the steps one by one, and the result is the same. Could be because I’m using Custom Field Type, instead of Custom Field?

The result should be the same but I don’t know.

1 Like

Hello @aleks and @iragudo,

I had the same symptoms using custom field type, while also trying the recommended steps.

I tried it out using the Forge Example App
‘Forge Currency Exchange’ which uses custom field type. Same result, Edit Modal Dialog is still displayed on create screen.

@iragudo Assumingly I should still update my custom field type apps to @forge/ui 1.2 before 20.06.22?

Thanks for the clarification, @aleks and @WolfgangLandes. Apparently, I missed the part where it mentioned customFieldType in the original post, my apologies. I am now able to replicate the issue by using the Forge Currency Exchange example app (for the jira:customFieldType).

I’ll run some more tests, reach out to the team regarding this behavior, and get back to you.

Cheers,
Ian

2 Likes

Hello, @Aleks and @WolfgangLandes. I heard back from the team working on this and the team made a developer community announcement. This confirms the current behavior wherein the change only applies to jira:customField but will be available in jira:customFieldType in the next couple of weeks.

Again, thank you for your patience, and I hope this helped clarify the original question.

Cheers,
Ian

1 Like