Description field becomes empty when doing state transitions from Jira REST API

Hi All,
I am getting a weird issue in Jira cloud. We have imported content from Clear Quest to Jira cloud.
Imported fields with content including description field. But the issue is we are consuming Jira REST API urls for attachments and state transitions.
Here when we are doing state transitions (Submitted to Closed) , when the transition is done , it is description field data is clearing .
Is this manadate to update the description field from state transitions input JSON?

Pls let me know…

Thanks
Vishnu

@anon5471057 just to clarify, you’re making a POST call to /rest/api/3/issue/{issueIdOrKey}/transitions (docs) and after the transition is performed, the description gets blanked?

If you perform the transition via the product, is the outcome the same?

If it’s only happening when you invoke transition via the API, if you could list all of the methods your app is calling, along with the POST body request, that would be helpful.

2 Likes

Hi,
Thanks for your reply.
Yes, i am doing POST call to (/rest/api/3/issue/{issueIdOrKey}/transitions) and once the transition is performed , description gets blanked.
I perform the transition using (/rest/api/2/issue/{issueIdOrKey}/transitions) this , it is working fine as expetced. (Desc is not getting blanked).
It is only happening when i do transitions from (Submitted → Resolved, Resolved → Closed).For all other transitions there is no issue.

This is the input Json i am using for state transitions…

{
“update”: {
},
“transition”: {
“id”: “{0}”
}

I’ve just encountered this exact same issue, the Description field is being cleared when I use that API call to update another field. Was any resolution found?