Developer instances and the "JSD trap"

Not sure where to put this (so feel free to edit tags etc).

But when we sign up for developer instance, we get one with (this is from the sign up page - I didn’t add the Jira Ops reference :wink: ):

• Jira Software, Jira Core, Jira Ops: 5 users free
  • Jira Service Desk: 1 agent free
  • Confluence: 5 users free

Great, but if I go to add another user (or worse - somebody signs up) - they’re automatically added to the JSD app and I have to go and remove them (so that Atlassian’s billing system doesn’t complain). I haven’t figured out the timing yet (I think if I do it immediately - I’m fine - wait a little bit some automation kicks in).

After a bit I get an estimated bill because I have too many JSD users. Can’t add CC details because I’m not the billing contact. Even if I fix things at this point - the automation continues
3 days later - I get a nice email saying that my “Your Atlassian Subscription has expired”
2 days later - I get a nice email saying that my “Your Atlassian Subscription has expired”
2 days later - I get a nice email saying that my “Your Atlassian Subscription has expired”
7 days later - I get a nice email saying that my “Your Atlassian Subscription has expired”
2 days later - My instance is removed and I get an email saying as much.

This has happened with 2 instances so far this year. I’m on my third one now and I’ve got 11 days left.

So… is it possible to get JSD to be so greedy or somehow else fix the automation. I would be really happy with documentation of just how to avoid getting into this flow.

2 Likes

@danielwester - can you speak to any side effects you’re seeing around installing Marketplace apps on your test/dev instances? Does that also trigger any subscription/expiration issues for you?

I’ve also lost my dev instance that way and even after 3 support tickets, the automatic subscription + removal proved to be unavoidable.

One of the support engineers suggested a good solution that you might consider for all your dev instances as well.

Go to Product Access and disable access for new users.
I suggest you only keep the default access group for each product. If you only have one admin, you might keep those groups but it might be a good idea to at least remove it from JSD as there’s only one agent license.

If you want other users to test, just add them to a default product group.

Haven’t tried installing marketplace apps (only my local dev or mine with access tokens). If I did the apps though I would blame myself.

In this case it’s JSD being greedy - and I sure love how it’s really noisy within the app once you start heading down this path to really rub salt in the wound that you’re about to lose access. :slight_smile:

We frequently experience this with developer and test instances. The default application access of JSD is mostly unnecessary. These instances should be configured in the least surprising way out of the box

1 Like