Ecosystem Roadmap for developers

Hi developer community,

We are excited to provide you with visibility into our ecosystem roadmap. After hearing feedback from the community, we are augmenting the existing developers roadmap Trello board with details from teams across ecosystem: Developer platforms (Connect & Forge), Jira platform, Confluence platform, Atlassian Marketplace, and migrations enablement.

As we are working in an agile environment, we won’t be able to share exact timelines and milestones on our roadmap, but at the same time we want to be transparent and make our goals accessible to all of our developers. Make sure to check out the README card for an explanation of how to use the board.

View the roadmap: Trello

Malathi Vangalapati
Sr Product Manager, Marketplace

27 Likes

Should hiring more support staff appear on this roadmap? Or is that considered external to the Ecosystem Roadmap?

8 Likes

How often is this chart updated? If something is in the backlog or Up Next - what are the timeframes for it? Ie is it something that y’all have the priorities for this year and more than likely that item won’t be happening any time soon? #managemyexpectations

1 Like

It looks like a few things are out of date, also – there are some Confluence REST APIs that AFAIK have been released that in this chart are still marked as up next or in progress.

1 Like

Please check out the README card on the board. It answers all your questions. :slight_smile:

1 Like

What about supporting Paid via Atlassian apps for Bitbucket Cloud? Or even Paid via Vendor? :frowning: ping @kmorales

1 Like

@BobBergman - Thanks for pointing that out. I’ve updated the outdated Confluence cards (moved the APIs that were shipped to ‘Recently Shipped’ column and added a comment with a link to the public dev docs). :slight_smile:

3 Likes

That’s what I was kinda wondering about because if talks about 6 months. And there are definitively cards on there that been around for much longer (or added by folks no longer at Atlassian).

Would it be possible to get updates on cards that have been on there for more than 6 months or perhaps make sure somebody is trimming things?

3 Likes

Thanks for pointing out @danielwester, we are on it. We did clean up the board for most of the work streams, will update the obsolete ones shortly.

5 Likes

@MalathiVangalapati @akassab Is this an appropriate place to ask questions about specific cards on the roadmap Trello board?

On the card about the new space permissions APIs for Confluence, it shows them as “shipped.” However, looking at relevant documentation for them, they appear in the “experimental” section of the REST API docs, and worse, they are annotated with the note, "Apps cannot access this REST resource."

Can you add a new card to track their graduation from experimental status and/or the availability for use by apps? Multiple PMs over the last year or so have told us they were coming and would be usable by developers in apps and now they are marked as shipped on the roadmap, but the current status doesn’t really seem to reflect any of that.

2 Likes

Hi Bob. My name is Elaine. I recently took on the Confluence Ecosystem PM role having moved from a different area within Confluence Cloud. I’d be happy to help here.

Thank you for your catch on the APIs being labeled as “shipped” but still in Experimental. I’ve updated the Trello card in the roadmap with up-to-date status. Soon it will be graduated from Experimental to Shipped for good. We’re working on that.

Regarding “Apps cannot access this REST resource” in the dev doc, what we mean is that there should always be a user involved to be able to use these APIs. App context alone will not be sufficient for apps to use these APIs to prevent security vulnerability. Is this aligned with your expectation for how auth should work? If not, what’s your expectation?

In case anyone is interested, user context is provided by using:

• For Connect apps, OAuth 2.0 user impersonation (User impersonation for Connect apps).
  • For non-Connect apps, basic auth with the user’s credentials, or 3LO (yet to be supported)

Hope this helps. Please let me know if you have further questions or concerns.

Elaine Hankins
Confluence Cloud PM for Ecosystem

4 Likes

Maybe the wording should be clarified in the documentation somewhere. Up until this point I always thought that there is no way for my addon to use annotated endpoints in any way or form. As far as I was concerned they were only available for the main application frontend or the current user authenticated via the browser.

1 Like