Edit connect app system user (name, profile picture, ...)

Our app performs actions such as edits to Confluence pages, and these show up in the page history as being made by a system user that seems to have been automatically created based on our Connect app descriptor. The name of the user seems to be based on the first 10 letters of the ‘name’ attribute in the descriptor, and the image likewise contains the capital letters from the full name.

For pages that our app has edited, this user shows up at the top of the page among the collaborators whenever the page is viewed. Since the user features only part of the actual name of our app, it is not very pleasing or informative. Seeing this user with mangled properties in the page history might confuse users.

Hence, we would like to be able to edit the name and profile picture, and maybe other information such as a description, to provide more context about the user. This way it is clear for anyone viewing the page or page history what has taken place.

We have not found a way to provide this information in the descriptor, edit it in an interface or set it via API. Is there any way to edit these properties of the connect app system user? Thanks!

1 Like

Hi @MareinKnings,

I’m not entirely sure if this is what you are seeing here, but I found this bug report ([AC-2448] - Ecosystem Jira) via this other thread (How to change App System user name).

Is it true that the “app system name” is the one from the app descriptor? Maybe not the current one but a name that has been used in the past?

Based on this comment by Joe ([AC-2448] - Ecosystem Jira), it looks like there is a way to rename the app to have a friendlier name.

Let us know,
Caterina

2 Likes

Hi @ccurti,

Thanks a lot for your reply. I think the report you mentioned is indeed related, as changing the descriptor name does not seem to impact the app system user name.

Is it true that the “app system name” is the one from the app descriptor? Maybe not the current one but a name that has been used in the past?

As I described, the app system user name seems to be based on, but not identical to, the original name in the app descriptor. Let’s say the name in our app descriptor is “Beautiful Application”, then the app system user name is “BeautifulA”. It seems to have taken the first 10 letters in the app descriptor name, or maybe the full first word and the first letter of the second word. In any case, it’s not the name that we would prefer the app system user to have (which would be simply “BeatifulApplication” in our case).

Based on this comment by Joe ([AC-2448] Some display names of Connect add-on users are incorrect - Ecosystem Jira), it looks like there is a way to rename the app to have a friendlier name.

I can’t find a comment by Joe at that link, can you help me out?

Also the ticket does not address changing the other aspects of the app system user, such as the profile picture and profile description. Right now, the profile picture seems to take the first letter of the descriptor name. Again using the example “Beautiful Application”, the profile image would consist of the letter “B”. on a colored background. The profile description is empty. We would rather be able to set a custom image and custom description.

If would be great if there was a way to change all of these properties of the app system user. If you have any more information about this, I’d be very happy to hear about it. Thanks in advance!

Cheers,
Marein

@ccurti @MareinKnings
Were you able to solve this? I have the same problem–My apps’s avatar is just the letter “A” which is not very elegant/professional. The name is fine, but I can’t find a way to change the avatar.

@anon39253398 We will be able to update the app avatar if you can raise a ticket at Jira Service Management. Please also attach the desired avatar and send us the appKey or appID in case of a Forge app.

@MareinKnings apologies for not replying earlier and for the direct link not working. Feel free to reach out as well if you would still like us to update the details. The only part that I’m not clear about is the “profile description” as I never personally update that. If you can send us more details of what that is exactly, we can have a look and see if that can be updated as well.

Thanks,
Caterina

1 Like

Hi there - we would like to rename a connect app user name as well. Any idea on or suggestion/workaround for this please? Thank you.

@YatishMadhav if you raise a ticket at Jira Service Management with all the details, our team will be able to help.

There isn’t a self-service or a workaround option that you can apply yourself.

1 Like

Thank you @ccurti
I have logged a few tickets on this actually and a support user created a ticket for me on AMKTHELP. Hope that will lead me to a resolution. You give me hope that the app user name can be changed :slight_smile: but I would also like the key changed while still maintaining the same app itself … Hope they can help. Thank you again