Error: ngrok is not yet ready to start tunnels

I am a newbie to cloud dev, having previously created some simple Server apps.

Hello World, https://developer.atlassian.com/cloud/jira/platform/getting-started/, went in fine.

Next up Build a Jira app using a framework.
npm start results in:

Failed to establish local tunnel
err = Error: ngrok is not yet ready to start tunnels
    at Request._callback (E:\Source\Atlassian\jira-getting-started\node_modules\ngrok\index.js:192:30)
    at Request.self.callback (E:\Source\Atlassian\jira-getting-started\node_modules\request\request.js:185:22)
    at Request.emit (events.js:198:13)
    at Request.EventEmitter.emit (domain.js:448:20)
    at Request.<anonymous> (E:\Source\Atlassian\jira-getting-started\node_modules\request\request.js:1161:10)
    at Request.emit (events.js:198:13)
    at Request.EventEmitter.emit (domain.js:448:20)
    at IncomingMessage.<anonymous> (E:\Source\Atlassian\jira-getting-started\node_modules\request\request.js:1083:12)
    at Object.onceWrapper (events.js:286:20)
    at IncomingMessage.emit (events.js:203:15)
    at IncomingMessage.EventEmitter.emit (domain.js:448:20)
    at endReadableNT (_stream_readable.js:1129:12)
    at process._tickCallback (internal/process/next_tick.js:63:19)

I am able to fudge it by first starting ngrok; then running npm start; modding atlassian-connect.json and uploading to my dev site.

Thanks,
Mark

2 Likes

Hey, similar experience here. Seems like ngrok made a server side API change which isn’t backwards compatible. There’s a fix released as version 3.2.3, however it doesn’t seem to be back ported to 2.3 - looking at the repo it seems like that development of 2.3 has stopped. Since ACE depends on ngrok 2 will that version stay broken until either the fix is back ported, the server side API is made BC again (unlikely, as they already showed their preference for just releasing a client side fix), ACE migrates to ngrok ^3.2.3 or ACE includes some workaround.

1 Like

Btw, there’s a discussion here covering the same issue.

Thanks, at least it reassures me that it isn’t something I am doing wrong.

Should be able to workaround it until it can be resolved.

Thanks,
Mark

Hello everyone,

A fix has been published. Please see [ACEJS-139] - Ecosystem Jira . Please bump your ACE version to 3.5.0 and do another npm install. Thanks!

Moving forward, please add atlassian-connect-express on your tags, I subscribe to those.

Cheers,
Anne

1 Like

Thanks for a prompt resolution to this.

npm upgrade did the job for me.

Looking at the ngrok repo this was a recent thing, I picked just the wrong weekend to start my cloud dev journey.

1 Like

Hi @acalantog, can you pls check out this thread too Failed to establish local tunnel in Jira Activity Tutorial - #7 by edgarpolancogomez ??

For me, there seems to be an issue in the ACE code for MacOS Catalina (maybe in the RSVP dependency, but ACE code should be able to handle it)