Expanding webpanel automatically in new issue view

Hello,

I want to show some additional information via a web panel in the atl.jira.view.issue.right.context context. Everything works well so far in the old issue view. The web panel is directly loaded and stays expended when I click on it. In the new view, I have to click on the “Open web-panel-title” link before it gets shown.
Is there an option to directly open a web panel in the atl.jira.view.issue.right.context context of the new issue view?

Thank you,
André

Hi,

It is not possible to automatically expand the panel on the right side of new issue view unfortunately :frowning:
Atlassian optimized issue view so the apps does not occupy the space right after the issue has been loaded. Therefore user needs to manually open the panel (Glance) to view the content.

It is however possible to display short information/summary before opening the Glance: https://developer.atlassian.com/cloud/jira/platform/modules/issue-glance/

Cheers,
Jack

Hi Jack,

Thank you for this information.
I already thought about using glances as I saw them. Is there a possibility to identify if a user is using the new or old issue view so I can show the web panel while we are in the old one and glances in the new?

Greets,
André

Hi @blackbytes,

AFAIK there is no way to identify which issue view is open (new or old) but you don’t need it.

The current implementation of displaying the old panel or Glance is as follows:

• plugin contains only old panel definition: the panel is displayed as expected in old issue view and it is displayed as Glance in new issue view (but you cannot define the Glance summary which I mentioned in my previous post)
  • plugin contains only Glance definition: nothing is displayed in old issue view, and Glance is displayed in new issue view
  • plugin contains both Glance and old panel definition: the old panel is displayed in old issue view, and Glance is displayed in new issue View

So, you probably want to implement the third bullet to get everything or stay with the first bullet (only old panel definition) if you don’t need Glance summary in new Issue View.

Cheers,
Jack

Hi @jack,
How do you defined both in such a way that Jira will know that they are related and only one (the glance) should be displayed in the new issue view?

Hi @david2,

Just define both, that’s all.

It is Jira that knows your definitions and it only displays Glance in New Issue View.

Cheers,
Jack

Thanks @jack, so you mean that if Jira finds any Glance Module definition in an app descriptor, it will ignore all atl.jira.view.issue.right.context Web Panels defined in the app descriptor in the New Issue View? I didn’t see a mention of that behavior anywhere in the docs.

if Jira finds any Glance Module definition in an app descriptor, it will ignore all atl.jira.view.issue.right.context Web Panels defined in the app descriptor in the New Issue View?

I thought they need to have the same ID, but I’ve just checked our add-on and both Glance and “right.context” use different IDs. It is quite strange and problematic if add-on provides more “right.context” panels.
Nevertheless, the answer to your question is “Yes”.

We use this rule right now in our add-on. I believe that was explained somewhere on this community when Atlassian was introducing the Glance. Too bad it is not in the docs.

That should be pretty easy to check though.

BTW. One more difference between Glance and “right.context” panel is that you can provide an icon for Glance.