Export individual Jira Issue to a custom word template

Hi Forge Community,

I have been trying to figure out if I could export individual Jira issue onto a custom word template. I have been playing with Forge for awhile but I am not confident that it is possible to export Jira issues to a custom word template using Forge. Does anyone know if it is possible to export Jira issues using Forge?

I found few applications that I can pay to export jira issues but I want to explore more options.

I also found a post about customizing word export template for Jira Application (link below), but I am not sure if this is the only way to export Issues to a custom word template.

link:

Customise word export template for JIRA applications | Jira | Atlassian Documentation.

Thanks in advance.

Welcome to the Atlassian developer community @s1093,

I don’t know about the whole path to a custom MS Word template because there is a lot of work between the existing Jira REST APIs and MS Word format. On the MS Word side, maybe you need a library like docx.js?

That said, I was hoping you could clarify what you mean by “export”?

On one hand, if you want export by just making a downloadable file stream, then here’s what another developer was able to do:

On the other hand, if you want to export by sending the document somewhere, then you will need to be aware of the egress controls:
https://developer.atlassian.com/platform/forge/add-content-security-and-egress-controls/

Thank you for the reply.

As for the answer to the first question : The same function as “Export Word” in Jira issues except the forge app would export jira issues using a custom word template. The custom word template has everything designed to fit the organization requirements, and the blank spaces just need to be filled with information provided in jira issues.

Currently, my forge app makes a GET request to a cloud and download a word template. I was thinking of making changes to the word template using docxtemplater (GitHub - open-xml-templating/docxtemplater: Generate docx, pptx, and xlsx from templates (Word, Powerpoint and Excel documents), from Node.js, the Browser and the command line / Demo: https://www.docxtemplater.com/demo. #docx #office #generator #templating #report #json #generate #generation #template #create #pptx #docx #xlsx #react #vuejs #angularjs #browser #typescript #image #html #table #chart).

I am not sure if I can apply the node.js/express server solution provided in your answer as I am not sure if I can have a ipaddress:PORT open to public so that the forge app can make a POST&GET request to the node.js/express server.

@s1093,

I’m not aware of any Forge modules that extend the “Export Word” feature; hence, there isn’t an easy way to just inject your Word template. That means reproducing all the capabilities of that feature in your Forge App. And, that feature is a very old feature of Jira, so it’s built into Jira as Java code, not as a Forge app that we could provide as example.

All that to say, I don’t know of any examples to help you build for your case.

thank you very much for the information. I guess I will try to reproduce the feature in my Forge App.