Failed to establish local tunnel in Jira Activity Tutorial

I am getting this issue too, but only if I configured npm run dev with nodemon.

After tracing the issue, it was related to the fact that Im using a ngrok free account, which allows me to open a single ngrok tunnel.
Then, when the server is automatically restarted (for instance, when I updated my code and saved my code file), somehow node_modules/atlassian-connect-express/lib/internal/registration/register-jira-conf.js from ACE is not killing the first ngrok instance.

Hence, ngrok tries to open 127.0.0.1:4041 instead of 127.0.0.1:4040, which will fail for the cause previously mentioned (ngrok free account).

It all went to this function of the ACE code:

function requireNgrok() {
    return require('../require-optional').requireOptional('ngrok');
}
exports.deregister = function () {
    promise.finally(function () {
      requireNgrok().then(function (ngrok) {
            console.log('IT NEVER GETS HERE')
            ngrok.kill();
        });
    });

Then, if I check this file node_modules/atlassian-connect-express/lib/internal/require-optional.js

exports.requireOptional = function requireOptional(moduleName) {
    return new RSVP.Promise(function (resolve, reject) {
        try {
            resolve(require(moduleName));
           console.log('IT RESOLVES THIS MODULE CORRECTLY')
        } catch (err) {
            reject(err);
        }
    });
};

So, somehow requireNgrok() function is not resolving the ngrok module correctly when deregistering and then it never kills ngrok.

In the other hand, a very similar code works fine in the same register-jira-conf.js file in the createTunnel function.

Does anyone have any ideas? For me, it’s a clear bug from ACE, but not sure if it’s related to a bug in RSVP too.

PD: Im using MacOS Catalina Version 10.15.5 and
“atlassian-connect-express”: “^3.5.0”,
“devDependencies”: {
“eslint”: “^5.16.0”,
“ngrok”: “^3.3.0”,
“nodemon”: “^1.19.4”,
“sqlite3”: “^4.2.0”
}

However, I see that ACE 3.5.0 is using "ngrok": "^3.2.4" and "rsvp": "^4.8.5" instead. Not sure if that’s related

Thanks

1 Like