Forge - Jira Custom field that works for both Team and Company managed projects

Hi there,

Maybe @sskorc can comment on this, follow up from previous discussion on this topic here

By using the Forge Custom Field module you can define a custom field in the Forge manifest and can view and update the field in Company managed projects using the REST APIs such as:
/rest/api/3/issue/{issueKey}

However, when performing the same REST API call on a Team managed project, the following error occurs:
Error invoking:{\"value_\":\"/rest/api/3/issue/TST-11\"} from Jira: 400 Bad Request Error Field 'customfield_10067' cannot be set. It is not on the appropriate screen, or unknown

The solution is not to add an appropriate screen or context associations. I have verified this, and it seems these suggestions only apply to Company-managed projects.

It seems Forge apps can’t use Custom Fields on Team-managed projects. The Custom fields can’t be made visible and can’t be updated through Jira REST APIs.

So for development teams building on Forge, this is like building a new app, time tracking, reports, or whatever - but the app only works for some projects. Who would go for a solution that only works for some projects and not all?

Two questions:

1. Am I missing something, or is this the case?
  2. When can Forge apps define and use custom fields that work for both Company and Team managed Projects?
  3. Do you recommend using Connect to overcome these limitations?

Thanks!

Hi @bjornbrynjar !
I’m sorry you waited for a reply.

1. No your not missing anything. Unfortunately, custom fields are not supported in all projects.
  2. There are plans to extend support for them, but I do not know specific dates. I will inform you directly in this topic, when I get such information
  3. That depends on situation. You can make issue fields in connect and they are working with Company-managed projects https://developer.atlassian.com/cloud/jira/platform/modules/issue-field/

If you have any further questions I will be happy to answer them :slight_smile:

1 Like