How do you offer a power-up without submitting it to the power-up marketplace?

It’s a great thing to be able to submit your power-up to the marketplace. But what if your power-up might be:

• developed and customized for specific clients
  • available only in specific countries

…thus making the power up unsuitable for the power-up marketplace?

How would your implementation look like and so on?

Suggestion: To still be able to use the marketplace ecosystem, developers maybe should be able to select if the power-up is public or private (for specific users, businesses).

We have a lot of teams that have customized, private Power-Ups that are built specifically for the way their team operates and we love it! We don’t expect, or even want, all Power-Ups to be submitted to be made publicly available. We’re happy to have teams building custom-fit Power-Ups to help their teams work better together. In fact, I, and others on the Trello team, use custom Power-Ups regularly to help us get our work done.

There is nothing special that a developer must do to leave their Power-Up private. Private Power-Ups are the default. Developers only need to submit the Power-Up for review if they want to make it publicly available.

1 Like

Thanks for the answer!

But imagine this: I’ve built a power-up, sold it to different companies and now need to “install” it for them.

In order to do that the company needs to add me to their group so I can set up the power-up with the capabilities, iframe connector and so on. It would be great to allow them to easily install the power-up they bought by themself just like a public power-up (without the power-up being public of course and without the need to configure power-up settings).

Now there’s a few drawbacks with this approach:

• They will need to give me access to their boards, exposing their contents.
  • They will need to remove me afterwards as every user is equal to a cost (if they have Trello business or enterprise)
  • They will need to add me to the group again if I need to add new capabilities as my power-up continues to develop.

All of these things could be dealbreakers for some.

I’m just looking for an easy way to work with private power-ups and clients :upside_down_face:

Thanks for sharing all of this! We have had something along these lines in our backlog for awhile now. I’ll add a link to this thread to the card.

As you’ve mentioned, there isn’t an easy way to share a custom Power-Up with a client right now. You’d need access as an admin on their team ( :scream:) or would have to write a long list of instructions to explain how to register a custom Power-Up themselves. I think most people trying to do this currently go with the latter option. But, again, not ideal. Hopefully something we can improve in the future!

1 Like

Thanks! In the end you just want to know if this approach Is appreciated by HQ or frowned upon.

Im pleased to hear that you have it in the backlog. That’s a good start!

Hope it’s legit to add a follow up question in a given thread, it’s my first post here (last time I communicated to the dev community was in the Slack channel :smile:)

Is there something in the backlog to also target this use-case:
One of my Trello accounts is a part of an organization which represents the company I work at (an enterprise account if I’m not mistaking).
I want to introduce a new Power Up for internal use that could help a lot of the different teams we have under our organization.
I know that Google Chrome’s extensions store has the ability to have a special enterprise section for custom Chrome Extensions meant for internal use only. Basically it’s an additional category at the bottom of the whole categories list.

Is that something you’re also planning to implement at some point?
Because the alternative is much like the two options mentioned above - giving me admin rights to each team who wants this Power Up to be installed on its boards, or supplying a full tutorial to set up the different parameters to create a custom Power Up independently…

Thanks in advance!