How to get the current project the user is on?

Hi,

I am writing a condition for a web-item. The condition passes only if the current project is some X project. For all other projects the condition fails.

How do I get the current project the user is on? Is it possible to fetch similar to fetching the current logged in user from JiraAuthenticationContext?

You should get passed a JiraHelper object which has a getProject method. But I believe exactly what is available depends on the location in which the web-item is placed.

If you have problems with that method you can get it from UserProjectHistoryManager (Atlassian JIRA 7.2.2 API)… although the first method is preferable as that should be null in places where there is no project context, eg some admin sections.

1 Like

Hi @jechlin,

Thanks for your answer. I would like to go with the second option. (UserProjectHistoryManager).

However, for the method getCurrentProject(int permission, ApplicationUser user), what would be the int value for permission?

I can see that there are different permission schemes for a project and different permissions like Administer Project, Browse Project etc. But I don’t find a way to get the “int” value they are mapped to.

pass in a constant like com.atlassian.jira.security.Permissions.BROWSE

1 Like

@jechlin I have tried that. It throws below exception. I have passed Permissions.ADMINISTER constant. I have also verified that the user has all necessary permissions from the JIRA UI.

java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: No permission for id : 0 in system
[INFO] [talledLocalContainer] 	at com.atlassian.jira.security.plugin.ProjectPermissionKey.resolve(ProjectPermissionKey.java:62)
[INFO] [talledLocalContainer] 	at com.atlassian.jira.security.plugin.ProjectPermissionKey.<init>(ProjectPermissionKey.java:23)
[INFO] [talledLocalContainer] 	at com.atlassian.jira.user.DefaultUserProjectHistoryManager.getCurrentProject(DefaultUserProjectHistoryManager.java:57)
[INFO] [talledLocalContainer] 	at sun.reflect.GeneratedMethodAccessor602.invoke(Unknown Source)
[INFO] [talledLocalContainer] 	at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:43)
[INFO] [talledLocalContainer] 	at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:498)

Also, from the docs, I see that “com.atlassian.jira.security.Permissions” class is deprecated See here: https://developer.atlassian.com/static/javadoc/jira/reference/com/atlassian/jira/security/Permissions.html

Alternative of that class is “om.atlassian.jira.permission.ProjectPermissions”: https://developer.atlassian.com/static/javadoc/jira/reference/com/atlassian/jira/permission/ProjectPermissions.html

I got the same error with the new constant values as well,

[INFO] [talledLocalContainer] java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: No permission for id : 37735953 in system
[INFO] [talledLocalContainer] 	at com.atlassian.jira.security.plugin.ProjectPermissionKey.resolve(ProjectPermissionKey.java:62)
[INFO] [talledLocalContainer] 	at com.atlassian.jira.security.plugin.ProjectPermissionKey.<init>(ProjectPermissionKey.java:23)
[INFO] [talledLocalContainer] 	at com.atlassian.jira.user.DefaultUserProjectHistoryManager.getCurrentProject(DefaultUserProjectHistoryManager.java:57)
[INFO] [talledLocalContainer] 	at sun.reflect.GeneratedMethodAccessor602.invoke(Unknown Source)
[INFO] [talledLocalContainer] 	at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:43)
[INFO] [talledLocalContainer] 	at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:498)
[INFO] [talledLocalContainer] 	at com.atlassian.plugin.util.ContextClassLoaderSettingInvocationHandler.invoke(ContextClassLoaderSettingInvocationHandler.java:26)
[INFO] [talledLocalContainer] 	at com.sun.proxy.$Proxy165.getCurrentProject(Unknown Source)
[INFO] [talledLocalContainer] 	at sun.reflect.GeneratedMethodAccessor618.invoke(Unknown Source)

Yeah I know it’s deprecated but they haven’t provided a method that takes a ProjectPermissionKey.

Don’t use ADMINISTER because it’s not a project permission, use PROJECT_ADMIN if that’s what you want.

Have a look at the source - com.atlassian.jira.permission.ProjectPermissions#systemProjectPermissionKeyByShortName

1 Like

Yeah. PROJECT_ADMIN worked. Thanks a lot for the help.