How to properly use the Feedback/Status APIs

Hi,

I went through the documentation many times and looked at the code sample but I can’t figure out how to use the Feedback & Status APIs.

Per my tests, my understanding is that my cloud app will receive a webhook call APP_DATA_UPLOADED for every “app data” uploaded by the server app (+ 1 call LISTENER_TRIGGERED), the order of those calls being potentially random.

In my case, the cloud app can’t know in advance how many “app data” will be uploaded, so I’m not sure how I can provide a status update. It seems the Feedback API is only cloud to server, so I can’t use that to send the number of files.

What is the recommended approach?

• Should the server write 1 AppData at a time and use the Feedback API to wait for the cloud to process it?
  • Should the server write 1 custom AppData that includes the number of expected pieces?

Thanks!

Hi @improwiser.engineeri,

For the issue of not knowing how much app data will be uploaded, we recommend using a label with each upload and at the beginning send a manifest of all the files you’ll be sending and their labels so you can track them as they come in, which is the second option that you’ve suggested.

I wouldn’t recommend the first option because the feedback is asynchronous and it’s not checked at a rapid rate, unless there are a very small number of files (e.g. 1).

Hope this helps.

Regards,
James.

Hi,

Thank you for confirming!

To satisfy my curiosity, would you mind giving me a example of why the Feedback API would be used?

Thanks

We haven’t built the UI yet for it, but the feedback api would be used when there are manual steps still to be performed after the migration and you want to link the admin to a page in the cloud site for more tasks or maybe a link to your documentation about the features of the cloud app that are different to the server app.

Regards,
James.

I see, thanks for clarifying!

I’m going to roll back what I said. I was getting the feedback api and the status api mixed up, and it’s something I’m going to address in the documentation.

The status api can be used for sending back a message for the UI during or after the migration.

The feedback api is more about machine to machine communication. We’ve provided it if you ever need to provide communication between your cloud service and the on-premise server. This way you don’t need to create your own authentication and communication system.

During import, your cloud service can provide messages to the on-premise server. What that would entail is really up to what your needs might be. But it could be a request to send specific data in the transfer payloads or to pre-process the data in a specific way, say if there are version differences.

Regards,
James.