Is it possible to access versions with Connect?

I’ve never worked with Connect, so I don’t even know if what I want to do is possible. I’ve run through the little Hello World tutorial on the docs site, but it’s a big leap from that to a functional app.

I have a PHP script I wrote that I run on my local webserver which lets me (I’m our Jira admin) add multiple versions or components to multiple projects at once. Using cURL and the REST API, I get a list of all projects, then display them as a list of checkboxes. There’s a single text field that accepts a comma-delimited list of versions or components, and on submit splits them out and runs through the projects, adding the values to each one via cURL/REST.

This is a convenience for me, but I’d like to convert it to a Connect app that would allow my users to add versions and components themselves. The script would need to run under a specific credential, as the entire reason for this is to allow users to do this without opening up Project Admin permissions to everyone.

1. Is this even possible with Connect? (I’m fine with converting it to something like node.js if it needs to be done in a js-based language.)

2. Are there any training resources specifically for Connect that are more advanced than the Hello World sample, but more in-depth than just the API documentation?

@estrom you can definitely do this with Connect. I think there are already some apps available for Release Management (which include management of versions and components).

If you want to do it yourself, the biggest hurdle will be to understand the Connect app lifecycle: it needs to be installed in the Jira Cloud instance using the atlassian-connect.json descriptor. In this JSON file, you specify how you want to interact with the Jira Cloud UI.

In your case, you probably want to create a separate page with a form. If you load in the Connect Javascript API (AP), you can make calls to the Jira Cloud rest API from within the browser. These requests will be executed within the context of the logged-in user. This will be the easiest way for you to implement this.

If you want to execute the REST API requests while impersonating another user (for instance, yourself or a service account) you will have to submit the form to your own application and execute the API calls from there.