Is there a way to speed up Confluence Server when developing with the Atlassian Plugin SDK?

When changing any code (Java classes, Velocity templates etc.) in my plugin and after having done atlas-mvn package and having the changes picked up by QuickReload, when trying to load a page anew in the browser it can take up to 3 minutes to load. :frowning: Is there a way to speed that up somehow? I’ve seen instructions for disabling Synchrony, but didn’t get that working yet, is it worth to invest time in?

This only happens to me when I’m accessing my local dev app via ‘sbehnke-laptop:8090/confluence’ on my work VPN. Something about DNS and hostnames. If I simply use ‘localhost:8090/confluence’ instead, things work quickly.

Hi @paul.folder

Confluence, compared with the other Atlassian products, was incredibly slow for me also, when started with the atlas commands. Which helped a bit, is starting with atlas-run --server localhost. This way you bypass all the networking effort, like DNS resolution, routing and things like that. That is, what @steve.behnke mentioned.
In addition, you can try to give Confluence and the JVM more memory, and see if this results in better performance.

Cheers,
Alexander

Have you tried increasing memory through the jvmArgs property?

<plugin>
                <groupId>com.atlassian.maven.plugins</groupId>
                <artifactId>maven-confluence-plugin</artifactId>
                <version>${amps.version}</version>
                <extensions>true</extensions>
                <configuration>
                    <jvmArgs>-Xmx2048m</jvmArgs>
                    <containerId>tomcat8x</containerId>
                    <server>localhost</server>
                    <productVersion>${confluence.version}</productVersion>
                    <productDataVersion>${confluence.data.version}</productDataVersion>
                    <enableQuickReload>true</enableQuickReload>
                    <enableFastdev>false</enableFastdev>

<!-- See here for an explanation of default instructions: -->
                    <!-- https://developer.atlassian.com/docs/advanced-topics/configuration-of-instructions-in-atlassian-plugins -->
                    <instructions>
                        <Atlassian-Plugin-Key>${atlassian.plugin.key}</Atlassian-Plugin-Key>

<!-- Add package to export here -->
                        <Export-Package>com.atlassian.community.confluence.api,</Export-Package>

<!-- Add package import here -->
                        <Import-Package>
                            org.springframework.osgi.*;resolution:="optional",
                            org.eclipse.gemini.blueprint.*;resolution:="optional",
                        </Import-Package>

<!-- Ensure plugin is spring powered -->
                        <Spring-Context>*</Spring-Context>
                    </instructions>
                </configuration>
            </plugin>

atlas-cli and then using pi is relatively fast. I’m not sure why Atlassian is deprecating it, but it still seems to work as of now. It takes only 1 to 2 seconds typically to recompile and redeploy an add-on.