Jira Cloud absolute URL showing %3A instead of a : (colon)

Hi there,

Jira Cloud sometimes shows a %3A symbol, sometimes a colon for our app URL, e.g:

https://myinstance.atlassian.net/projects/TCT?selectedItem=com.atlassian.plugins.atlassian-connect-plugin%3Acom.abc.def__my-project-page

OR

https://myinstance.atlassian.net/projects/TCT?selectedItem=com.atlassian.plugins.atlassian-connect-plugin:com.abc.def__my-project-page

This behaviour is not consistent. We have seen this happening in random instances, and apparently a bit randomly as well. It gets worse, because once the page is loaded and the URL contains the colon instead of the encoded symbol, after 1-2 seconds the colon gets replaced by the symbol %3A.

We need to understand what is the exact behaviour, because sometimes we need to build absolute URLs to navigate from one page to another, and it needs to match so our SPA won’t reload the page.

Does anyone have the same problem?

Thank you.

2 Likes

Hi @VitorPelizza,

Is your app able to use AP.navigator.go to navigate to the appropriate location? I’d like to understand a little more about a typical navigation sequence/use case.

Regards,
Dugald

Hi @dmorrow,

Thanks for replying. Just for some context, our app is TM4J.

Basically, we want to be able to provide real links to the users. These are some of the use cases:

• From our test case listing users want to click and open the test case in another tab - our test cases are not Jira issues, but entities of our own app
  • Users want to copy/paste URLs to navigate to specific test cases
  • Users use to bookmark pages, such as test cases or report pages
  • We have a single page application, so when we change the URL we need to make sure we are navigating to the exact same URL with a different hash, so that the page won’t reload

Thank you.

1 Like

Thanks @VitorPelizza,

I’ve created [ACJIRA-2194] - Ecosystem Jira and [ACJIRA-2195] - Ecosystem Jira for this.

Regards,
Dugald

2 Likes

Brilliant, thank you! I’ll watch these issues then.

1 Like

Yes, yes, and a thousand times yes. Thank you for raising this concern. Our users have been asking for that same thing for ever, and I’m just now in the process of making our links absolute for that reason.

2 Likes

Hi @dmorrow,

I appreciate that you have created the tickets to track the progress of this issue. I’ve been trying for months now to get an update, but I didn’t get a satisfactory clear answer nor the bug has been fixed.

This issue seems silly at a first look - it’s just a character on the URL that changes. However, in fact, it slows down a lot the overall experience of our app. Instead of us taking advantage of the single page application that we’ve built through the years and have very fast responses when you click links and buttons, because the URL changes randomly, the whole page will reload on every click and make the experience really bad. We are trying to improve the overall performance of our app, but in spite of us investing a lot of time to optimise very complex queries and infrastructure, we get impacted by such a very small random detail in the URL.

Do you think you can provide us with some more information around these issues?

Thank you very much.

Hi @VitorPelizza,

Based on my knowledge of the work load the various Jira teams currently have, I suspect ACJIRA-2194 may not be resolved in the foreseeable future. However, a comment in ACJIRA-2195 by @JakubMierzewski at the end of Nov 2020 indicates that this may be addressed shortly. I’ll check with Jakub if there is anything more to add.

Regards,
Dugald

2 Likes

FYI ACJIRA-2195 seems to have been fixed now - we haven’t been able to reproduce the issue again.

I think now ACJIRA-2194 remains open as an improvement - a great one - but the bugs have been fixed.

Thanks all.

1 Like