Jira global page UI kit timeout

Hi,

Is there a timeout for Jira global pages. I deployed the jira-global-page template with a button to cause a re-render. Around 15 minutes after first loading the page, re-rendering (for example pressing a button) causes 'Unexpected error in app`.

Logs have no error.

Source:

manifest.yml

modules:
  jira:globalPage:
    - key: global-page-hello-world
      function: main
      title: global-page
  function:
    - key: main
      handler: index.run
app:
  id: ari:cloud:ecosystem::app/9359106d-d913-419b-8146-cb12691fd864

src/index.jsx

import ForgeUI, { render, Text, Fragment, GlobalPage, Button } from '@forge/ui';

const App = () => {
  return (
    <Fragment>
      <Text>Hello world!</Text>
      <Button text='Re-render' onClick={() => {}} />
    </Fragment>
  );
};

export const run = render(
  <GlobalPage>
    <App/>
  </GlobalPage>
);
2 Likes

This is one of the most annoying UX flaws since day 1 of Forge (though possibly constrained to UI Kit):

It has been so obvious that this must be a fundamental flaw that should be addressed before GA (even more so given the nondescript error message) that nobody ever bothered to report it I think (thank you!) - while it came up a few times in partner chats since, I’m afraid there is still not even an official issue for this, a #failasateam of sorts :face_with_diagonal_mouth:

In my experience this also happens earlier than 15 minutes, think I’ve seen as low as 7, but either way it seems the function state cache is gone so the Forge ‘page cycle’ architecture model breaks down.

Speculation aside, it would be great to get someone from Atlassian to triage and ideally schedule this right away, because it’s going on forever and is an extremely painful UX that subverts the Forge (or UI Kit) value proposition and makes apps look very unprofessional - at the very least the error message should be more specific so that it is clear that this is caused by a platform limitation and not sloppy coding by the app developers (at least that’s my understanding :wink: :crossed_fingers:).

3 Likes

Hi @victor , @sopel
Apologies for the delay in response. Yes this is a bug. You can follow the public ticket here: [FRGE-1033] - Ecosystem Jira
The team is prioritising a fix for this at the moment

2 Likes