JIRA Software Cloud plug-in development (Java)

We have been asked to make 5 new different report/graph types in JIRA which don’t come prepackaged. Which should be accessible to stakeholders when they log-in to jira and should be seamless to access, like how they would access the other graph. At the moment we have gotten as far as rendering an empty page in the report section of a project, using an atlassian-connect-spring-boot-thymeleaf example, but we don’t know how to go about building a custom report from here.

This is a plug-in/add-on type of project as our first project. We are working with the JIRA Software Cloud with Atlassian Connect. However, I really am struggling with this project as the documentation provided by Atlassian company is not very helpful for a complete beginner like me.

Atlassian assumes a lot of knowledge and experience of Web-development technologies hence the documentation are very cryptic and sparse with useful information. I don’t have a lot of experience of back end web technologies or web architecture.

Too long we have spent time following an incorrect or challenging tutorial only to discover that it is not useful for our project in the first place.

Can anyone advise what direction to take to achieve this?

Unless you are willing to invest in learning modern web development techniques & web application hosting, incl. advanced security design principles, my advise would be to seek help from a solution partner or existing marketplace vendor that can help you create custom apps (for instance, @jexoapps / https://www.jexo.io/Services#CustomApp).

@shehroze.jamil, if you are simply trying to customize a single Jira site, you may not need to set up a running service to back your Atlassian Connect app.

For report data storage, you could use project properties to store the data within Jira itself, to avoid maintaining your own database.

For report rendering, you could serve static HTML pages, that use our JavaScript API to retrieve the data.

For report generation, you would only need a running service if you need reports to be updated every time they are viewed by a user, or when a user requests it. If updating the report data periodically is acceptable, you could use an API token to authenticate against the Jira REST API.

2 Likes