Jira Startup Failed

Hi,

I’ve been getting a JIRA Startup Failed error when issuing command atlas-run
See log file snippet:

2017-06-05 09:25:07,327 localhost-startStop-1 WARN      [c.a.jira.startup.JiraStartupLogger] 

********************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************
    WARNING: The system property 'mail.mime.decodeparameters' is not set to true. This may result in e-mail attachments with non-Latin filenames being dropped. For more information please see https://docs.atlassian.com/jira/jadm-docs-072/__setting_mail.mime.decodeparameters.
    ********************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************

2017-06-05 09:25:07,327 localhost-startStop-1 WARN      [c.a.jira.startup.JiraStartupLogger] 

WARNING: 'Apache Tomcat/8.0.36' server and the 'org.apache.jasper.runtime.BodyContentImpl.LIMIT_BUFFER' system property is not set to true! This can result in OutOfMemoryErrors. For more information please see {2}.

2017-06-05 09:25:07,328 localhost-startStop-1 INFO      [c.a.plugin.manager.DefaultPluginManager] Plugin system lateStartup begun
2017-06-05 09:25:07,331 localhost-startStop-1 INFO      [c.a.plugin.manager.DefaultPluginManager] Plugin system lateStartup ended
2017-06-05 09:25:07,345 localhost-startStop-1 INFO      [c.a.jira.startup.JiraStartupLogger] 

___ Plugin System Started _________________

2017-06-05 09:25:07,354 localhost-startStop-1 FATAL      [c.a.jira.startup.JiraStartupLogger] 

The following plugins are required by JIRA, but have not been started: JIRA Projects Plugin (com.atlassian.jira.jira-projects-plugin), Atlassian Navigation Links Plugin (com.atlassian.plugins.atlassian-nav-links-plugin), Atlassian JIRA - Plugins - Project Config Plugin (com.atlassian.jira.jira-project-config-plugin), Applinks - Plugin - Core (com.atlassian.applinks.applinks-plugin), Atlassian OAuth Service Provider Plugin (com.atlassian.oauth.serviceprovider), Embedded Gadgets Plugin (com.atlassian.gadgets.embedded), Gadget Directory Plugin (com.atlassian.gadgets.directory), Atlassian JIRA - Plugins - Gadgets Plugin (com.atlassian.jira.gadgets), Atlassian JIRA - Plugins - Global Issue Navigator (com.atlassian.jira.jira-issue-nav-plugin), Atlassian JIRA - Plugins - Quick Edit Plugin (com.atlassian.jira.jira-quick-edit-plugin), Atlassian REST - Module Types (com.atlassian.plugins.rest.atlassian-rest-module), Atlassian JIRA - Plugins - REST Plugin (com.atlassian.jira.rest), Opensocial Plugin (com.atlassian.gadgets.opensocial), Gadget Dashboard Plugin (com.atlassian.gadgets.dashboard)

JIRA startup failed, JIRA has been locked.

This is very unusual.
I have followed the following forums:

1. Troubleshooting JIRA Startup Failure
  2. Plugin SDK: Unable to run local JIRA due to “JIRA is locked”
  3. run atlas-clean; atlas-run
  4. Re-installed the Atlassian SDK
  5. ran atlas-create-jira-plugin and recreated the project, copied the maven dependencies and pasted the atlassian-plugin.xml contents (web-sections/web-items/servlet) and the project wasn’t updating with quick reload. This also disabled the plugin within addons in Jira Admin section

Any help is appreciated,

Cheers

Hi Jeet,

Are you able to run the command atlas-version and share the results here so I can see how your SDK is configured?

Cheers,
Melissa

Hello,

Here you go:

ATLAS Home:       /Applications/Atlassian/atlassian-plugin-sdk-6.2.14
ATLAS Scripts:    /Applications/Atlassian/atlassian-plugin-sdk-6.2.14/bin
ATLAS Maven Home: /Applications/Atlassian/atlassian-plugin-sdk-6.2.14/apache-maven-3.2.1
AMPS Version:     6.2.11
--------
Executing: /Applications/Atlassian/atlassian-plugin-sdk-6.2.14/apache-maven-3.2.1/bin/mvn --version -gs /Applications/Atlassian/atlassian-plugin-sdk-6.2.14/apache-maven-3.2.1/conf/settings.xml
Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM warning: ignoring option MaxPermSize=256M; support was removed in 8.0
Apache Maven 3.2.1 (ea8b2b07643dbb1b84b6d16e1f08391b666bc1e9; 2014-02-14T12:37:52-05:00)
Maven home: /Applications/Atlassian/atlassian-plugin-sdk-6.2.14/apache-maven-3.2.1
Java version: 1.8.0_121, vendor: Oracle Corporation
Java home: /Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines/jdk1.8.0_121.jdk/Contents/Home/jre
Default locale: en_US, platform encoding: UTF-8
OS name: "mac os x", version: "10.12.5", arch: "x86_64", family: "mac"

Thanks Jeet,

That all looks fine, and I have the same set up on my machine - I can create a plugin using ‘atlas-create-jira-plugin’ and then run the plugin using atlas-run from the plugin directory with no issues.

I noticed that you mentioned that you

ran atlas-create-jira-plugin and recreated the project, copied the maven dependencies and pasted the atlassian-plugin.xml contents (web-sections/web-items/servlet) and the project wasn’t updating with quick reload. This also disabled the plugin within addons in Jira Admin section

If you run atlas-create-jira-plugin and don’t make any changes to the atlassian-plugin.xml or maven dependencies, does JIRA start?

If so, it’s likely that one of your dependencies, or the atlassian-plugin.xml is the issue and you might need to look more closely at the definitions you’re adding to those files.

Let me know how you go.
Cheers,
Melissa

Hey Melissa,

I have done what you just did multiple times.
The project would run with the command atlas-create-jira-plugin, as well as when I add in the modules (manually). The project would become disabled once I add the business logic at times.
This was done in Intellij 2017. But yesterday, I changed my IDE to NetBeans and all the steps I followed and mentioned seemed to have worked.
Except following this guide, and instead of manually entering the modules, I executed the command atlas-create-jira-plugin-module. Those are the only two differences.

Hi Jeet,

So, just to clarify - the same project works in IntelliJ but not in Netbeans? Or it does not work in either?

Thanks,
Melissa

The project began in IntelliJ and this was where I ran into all my issues. I installed Netbeans and had no issues with the development to the point where I needed to be. However, I copied/pasted my Netbeans configuration over to IntelliJ with no Jira Startup Failure as well as the plugin enabled.

Hi Jeet,

I’m afraid your last few replies have left me a little confused about where the problem is - at the moment I don’t have enough information to be able to assist you.

I would suggest that you roll your project back to a point where JIRA was starting with all plugins and then only add a single change at a time, to help you to determine what change is causing the issue.

Once you work out what change is causing the issue feel free to provide the logs showing the errors that appear as JIRA tries to start your add-on.

I hope this is clear.
Cheers,
Melissa

Can you also perhaps paste in the contents of the error message from the jira log (should be in the target folder)? If you could also paste in the contents of the atlassian-plugin.xml file in here (feel free to retract name of classes if necessary).