Modal dialog on new Jira issue view causes JS errors

I tried the new issue glances and had an issue and a question.

1. It seems anything from my app (button on issue glance and issue action) that triggers a modal dialog on the issue view causes this error in the JS console:

Any thoughts on this? Looks like a bug to me.

1. In this blog post about the new Jira issue view there is a this screenshot that shows an open glance.

https://developer.atlassian.com/blog/2017/12/alpha-program-for-the-new-jira-issue-view/Ecosystem%20open%20glance.png

The title next to the back button is the glance icon and label, however in the implementation, it renders the glance name which would be “Support app” in the example in the blog post. Is this the intended behaviour? In my opinion to see the glance label like in the screenshot would make more sense because it describes the content below.

2 Likes

Hey @tbinna, this definitely looks like something is wrong. We will look into this tomorrow first thing and get back to you.

As for the ‘glance detail title’, that’s a good catch! Let me confirm with the team to make sure that was not intended. I agree it makes more sense to show the glance icon + name rather than the header name.

Let me know if you have any other pieces of feedback. Thanks for jumping into the new changes!

Hi @tpechacek, thanks for looking into this. I have 2 more feedback points.

1. Will quick-add buttons always be coupled to issue content panels?
    I love the idea of quick-add buttons and the engagement features planned around them. Now, from the docs it seems the concept of quick-add buttons is strongly linked to showing a panel on the issue content view. I don’t really see why these two things should be tightly coupled.
    In my app, I use an issue action to pop up a modal dialog and allow users to link objects from a different product with the issue. Associated objects are then rendered in a glance.
    It would be very nice to use quick-add buttons instead of an issue action for this and that way also make use of the engagement features. To me it seems an issue content panel and a glance are very similar concepts, in the sense that they both can show information related to the issue and quick-add buttons would be the means of adding that information. From my current understanding of the feature, it shouldn’t matter what the result of a quick-add action is.

2. Regarding Glance Status: I think it would be nice to read the status value from an existing entity property. Here is an example app descriptor to illustrate what I mean:

"modules": {
		"jiraEntityProperties": [
      {
        "name": {
          "value" :"Object Links",
          "i18n": "my.object.links"
        },
        "key": "object-links-property",
        "entityType": "issue",
        "keyConfigurations": [
          {
            "propertyKey": "my.object.links",
            "extractions": [
              {
                "objectName": "count",
                "type": "number",
                "alias": "linkedObjectCount"
              }
            ]
          }
        ]
      }
    ],
    "jiraIssueGlances": [
      {
        "key": "issue-glance-key",
        "status": {
	        "type": "badge",
	        "params": {
	          "entity": "issue",
	          "objectName": "count"
	        }
        },
        "icon": {
          "width": 24,
          "height": 24,
          "url": "/assets/img/logo.svg"
        },
        "content": {
          "type": "label",
          "label": {
            "value": "Object links"
          }
        },
        "target": {
          "type": "web_panel",
          "url": "/my/glance/panel"
        },
        "name": {
          "value": "My Glance"
        }
      }
    ]
}

In my app, I store a link count together with the link data in an entity property. With the existing solution, I have to manage an additional entity property just to store the count for the glance UI. It would be nice to make Jira just read the value from an existing property, e.g. using a status property in the glance module:

"status": {
	        "type": "badge",
	        "params": {
	          "entity": "issue",
	          "objectName": "count"
	        }
        }

I hope these points are clear. Let me know if something needs clarification or I misunderstood some feature.

1 Like

@tpechacek do you have any updates on these issues/feedback? Opening a modal dialog from a glance seems to work now, however, I have a context parameter project.id in the URL that does not get resolved.

Hi @tbinna,

I created a similar issue for this, see: JRACLOUD-69718. I also answered you in the Developer Support ticket.

Cheers,
Anne Calantog

1 Like