If you’ve been following our updates for Marketplace Partners (Monthly Updates, Roadmap Webinar, or Marketplace Partner Skim), you’ll know that Atlassian is moving to a new cloud billing engine. Over the past several months we’ve prepared by migrating the app catalog onto the new system and beginning to migrate customers without Marketplace apps.
We plan to enable app purchasing on the new billing engine the last week of November
The next important milestone for apps on the new billing engine is enabling Marketplace app purchasing. We are currently targeting November 28th (US time zones) to enable app purchasing on the new billing engine .
While existing customers will continue purchasing apps on the old system on this date, it is possible that net new customers who are already on the new billing engine may begin purchasing apps on the new system starting the last week of November.
We do not currently plan to migrate any existing customers with cloud apps until early next year, so the bulk of the reporting changes through the new billing engine will arrive then. We will communicate with you when we have a firm date for this step, but in the meantime you can view the full schedule here.
However, because new customers who have already been moved to the new billing engine can buy apps starting the last week of November, we recommend being prepared for the changes, API differences, and UI differences by November 28th.
We expect app purchasing volume to be low initially, since we are migrating customers with lowest likelihood to purchase apps first. However, being prepared for these changes means that you will be able to have data continuity for your business and not miss any new license or billing data coming from the new system.
The new billing engine will enable numerous billing improvements for cloud customers and Marketplace Partners with cloud apps
Enabling customers to purchase cloud apps and Atlassian cloud products through the new billing engine will unlock improvements in the future, like:
- Editions for cloud apps on Atlassian Marketplace (you can find details and a timeline for this in-progress feature on the Partner Portal here)
- Marketplace Partners will be able to receive contact information for free customers
- A single billing engine for all cloud products with a consolidated view of cloud subscriptions across sites
- Better user experience and support for partners and customers to manage cloud subscriptions
Enabling app purchasing on the new billing engine will result in some permanent and some temporary changes for Marketplace Partners
While the new billing engine will bring a number of improvements, it is a major change that will come with changes that partners should be prepared for, like:
- SEN will be replaced by EntitlementId and EntitlementNumber
- New flow and API for creating promo codes — Marketplace Partners will be able to create customized promo codes for customers on the new billing engine
- App archival and paid to free conversion will be temporarily unavailable
- Renewals will be created automatically by the system (no need to create a new order)
What should partners do to prepare?
We encourage you to review our resources in the Partner Portal by November 28th to get:
- a full list of impacts
- API changes with JSON examples
- UI changes for partners and customers.
If you have any questions, feel free to join us for a Product Team Talk Time on the New Billing Engine on November 17th.