Hi developer community!
I’m an Atlassian researcher and have been working with Caitlin McCurrie. We’ve been working on understanding more about the role of Marketplace in customer experiences migrating from server to cloud. Some of our learnings have added to our knowledge of what customers are looking for in a Marketplace Partner when selecting an app. Caitlin covered a lot of this already in a post published in June, and we have a little more to add to this that we’d like to share with you all.
We’ve also learned more about the support our mutual customers need from us and from you when migrating their apps. We’d like to pass on some great nuggets of insight to you all so that we can help our customers on their journey to cloud with the apps they need (and love ).
While it remains true that customers look for well-known, larger Marketplace Partners (to quote one of our customers: “someone we’ve heard of”) this is NOT the MOST important factor for customers.
To increase trust in your apps, you can:
- Include information on security postures upfront. To see an example of well-documented security practices, check out CRXcavator.
- Build your apps on Forge. Although we understand that many of you are blocked from developing on Forge and we’re working toward addressing many of those challenges.
- Offer ongoing support.
- Encourage user reviews and share best-practice advice via Community.
Ensuring data management and security information is upfront, easy to access, and well thought out is one of the main trust-factors customers are looking for . Here’s how one of our customers describes their assessment of apps/Marketplace Partners:
Security is such a big thing at the moment. It’s all about data protection and privacy and yeah. If you’re a vendor and you don’t realize that it’s so important, that that’s the first check I do, are they fully going to be a secure company? Because otherwise, I’m not going to invest time to start a process for buying the app if I already see that they don’t show their security information really easily. That’s really because we’re such a big company. I have a security colleague that’s responsible for security analysis. And if it’s really going to be a long process, I’m not going to bother them. Or I will just tell my colleagues, sorry, this app is not secure.
App security analysis is a rigorous step in the procurement process for some of our customers. While security is important for all customers, not everyone has deep knowledge of data security and management and most will not have the understanding you all do so it’s really important to help ensure customers don’t have to hunt for security information. Where customers see no evidence that a Marketplace Partner is aware of data management and security compliance needs, they will choose not to use the app on cloud.
Clear and upfront, easy-to-find data management and security information is one of the most important factors customers are looking for when selecting an app.
Some apps are more complex than others when it comes to migration. Customers described that migrating apps took up a significant and unexpectedly large portion of the total time invested in migrating to cloud. Migration effort encompasses the exploration and planning stages, Proof of Concept (POC), tracking support tickets with Atlassian and multiple Marketplace Partners, and of course the migration process itself. Complex apps require extra time and effort, manual migration, and manual reconfiguration on cloud.
Customers will drop apps where combinations of the following factors emerge during their exploration phase:
- The effort to migrate is too intensive
- The app was not identified as a critical app (i.e. nice to have but can still get work done without this functionality)
- Speed of reply from Marketplace Partner
- Lack of parity
- App is not available on cloud and there is no roadmap/ETA on the Marketplace Partner site
Customers described working through hurdles related to availability. Solutions included:
- Seeking support: working with Atlassian and Marketplace Partners to overcome migration hurdles
- Maintaining a hybrid setup: maintaining server alongside their cloud instance to retain the server app while waiting for the app to become available on cloud
- Working with Solution Partners who then worked with Marketplace Partners to help find a solution
Migration can be really time consuming, especially for our larger more complex customers. We encourage large customers with complex setups to work with Solution Partners who are experienced and trained in migration to cloud. We can’t say enough about the excellent work they do, particularly when it comes to migrating apps. Solution Partners will want to work with you to help find solutions to complex app migrations. Alongside assisting customers in a smooth journey to cloud, they can help you retain customers. Team up with them to:
- Help understand particular customers’ needs for equivalent apps on cloud (and ensure parity)
- Configure apps on cloud and ensure all links are ready and working
- Change management to help customer’s start life on cloud on the right foot
I hope some of these nuggets of insight can help in the excellent support you are already providing for your customers. We’re always keen to know what you think! Please reach out to Caitlin, Cara, or Michaela with any questions or comments - we love chatting with you!