Our new home for Atlassian Design System

Hi @jsyip, since @kmorales closed the last thread, I figured I would try to carry over some of the opens questions that Atlassian has been seemingly ignoring for months now. Can you (or anyone else on the Atlassian side) please clarify some of the items below:

@ngault asked the following (in the closed thread):

1. What exactly is being delivered in the form of code? Does Atlassian intend to provide, as it did prior to Jan 2, 2020, all of the Atlaskit components in source version? (Currently, about 30% of the source is missing, including components that are dependencies of other key components.) And will the system take a form enabling partners to incorporate it in a commercial-grade CI/CD system? (This stopped being the case in early January).

2. What is the timeline? @stephenmok 's posts in prior threads have continued in the same vein we’ve seen for the last 6 months, ‘i.e., we can only tell you that we’ve been really busy, but we should be able to tell you more sometime in the future.’ Keep in mind we’ve been told “real soon now” since early January.

To be clear, the concern from the community isn’t about the quality or features of Atlaskit. Rather, we just want to know when (or whether) we can count on Atlaskit as safe to build our businesses on.

@stephenmok posted things Atlassian is working on in this thread on June 19.

… I’ll have more to share about the Design System roadmap after that is finalised.

In the meantime, here are key pieces we’re working on right now…

Specifically with the community in mind:

• Preparing to move our public repository (the mirror) from Bitbucket to GitHub, where it will be available alongside other Atlassian open-source projects
  • Renewed investigation into whether we can change the licensing for icons to a more permissive license

Clearly, it looks like the design system roadmap is done, as you’ve started pushing out the new design system. Could you thus please provide answers to:

• Is the move to GitHub done? If so, could you please share the links to the repos.
  • Is there an ETA on getting an answer about license changes for icons?
10 Likes