Provide multiple URLs or multiple regions for single plugin

Hello everyone,

We are currently developing an application that is a Cloud Connect plugin which is currently communicating continuously with one of our servers.
The idea is that we want 3 of these servers in 3 different regions (USA, EU, AUS) doing the same thing. The problem is that we want to publish it on the marketplace under one single application and it won’t let us add 3 URLs when adding it.

Is it possible to use multiple URLs of a single connect application, based on the client’s location? Or do you have a similar solution to our problem?

Thanks! :slight_smile:

Hello @DanMoldoveanu ,

As you have already imagined such feature is not available at the moment. As a possible workaround you can try to use a proxy or a load balancer that will redirect the requests to the desired server/region.

Another possible option, as suggested in [AC-2145] Multiple endpoints for atlassian connect plugin, is to get your customers to make their own private listings (review AC-2145 for details).

Cheers,
Dario

Hi @dbonotto :slight_smile: Thank you for your answer!

I recently saw this article Data residency and I have some questions regarding it.

Do you think this can solve the problem of two servers (EU and US)? I am asking this because I tried testing it with 2 baseUrls for EU and US and always got redirected to the EU one. I tried to access the main baseUrl with a VPN in US and still got redirected to the EU one.

Another question would be - it this regionBasedUrls redirecting based on the jira server location (data residency) or based on the ‘user’ location?

Thanks!
Dan

Hi @DanMoldoveanu ,

I didn’t think about it, but yes, data residency seems to be the way to go :slight_smile:

According to the documentation the regionBasedUrls redirects either to the region configured in admin.atlassian.com ( Security > Data residency), or to the same (or closest) region to the one where the Jira or Confluence site is hosted otherwise:

Customers who don’t have a data residency requirement, but are provisioned in the EU or US for performance reasons install into the nearest supported region. This may provide performance improvements for end users.

For further details on this topic you may want to also review below links:

Cheers,
Dario