Retry on JIRA webhook

Hi everyone, we have an integration service that consumes Jira rest APIs and listening on the JIRA webhook.
Regarding webhook, I have some questions:

1. Since our service sits behind a security gateway, that requires webhook to send auth token etc, there is no such option in the default webhook configuration panel. We found another page where you can customize webhook, but JIRA support team says, if you use customized webhook, you would lost the advantage of built-in retry. Does this true? Because we would also need the functionality of retry.

2. There is another requirement from Integration team, don’t ask me why, but they have to do like that, they are expecting webhook to be able to listen to the response after sending an event to the target URL. For example, to get an updated field value and then do the update. I don’t know if this is possible, and are we able to customize this?

Do we have a support team in this community, if we can schedule a Webex meeting to talk more in details? Please reach out to me, thanks

Hi @ChenhaiHu,

1. I don’t have a lot of experience with such services, but keeping in mind how webhook retries work I can share with you my thoughts. In my opinion, everything depends on the “proxy” server’s (this one you use to customize webhook) behavior.
    Webhooks retires are based on status codes so if the “proxy” server responds with the same error code as your server, then retry will be triggered.
    On the other hand, if it always responds to Jira with 200, without taking care of your server response, then you will lose retries indeed.

2. I’m not sure if I understand your question properly, but it is impossible to set up any Jira behavior depending on the webhook receiver’s response. The only case when the response from the remote host impacts Jira’s work is when we make a decision if webhook should be retired or not.

Don’t hesitate to reach me out if you have any further questions.