Testing JIRA Cloud add-ons

I’ve enabled licensing for my add-on, and set it up for installation via the Marketplace. All good so far. What I’m not so sure about is how to keep a separate development-and-testing instance of my add-on running. The Marketplace seems to allow only one version of a Cloud add-on to exist for a given add-on.

I know that I can just give my development instance of JIRA Cloud the URL of my add-on and carry on from there, but I won’t be able to test license checks. I have the feeling that there’s a trick to this that I’m missing.

What I’m doing with my cloud development is manually install the add-on in the cloud instance, by providing either a development URL (ngrok) or staging environment URL (CloudFront / API Gateway / Lambda). I only use the Atlassian Marketplace listing for production ready versions.

EDIT: sorry, misread your post. It is actually about licensing checking. I’m currently implementing my own licensing for a BitBucket add-on, which allows me to fully test the flow. The Atlassian Connect documentation has some guidance in terms of testing a license:

You can test licensing-related behavior of your add-on in a local, development environment to an extent. But there’s no way to replicate the interaction with the UPM and Atlassian Marketplace in a local environment alone. In the production environment, the Atlassian Marketplace serves licenses for new subscribers, and the application interacts with the Marketplace to get the license state.

1 Like

That’s interesting. Do you mean that your add-on won’t use UPM licensing? Why so?

Thanks for sharing your approach. Testing my add-on’s adjustment to various licensing scenarios will be tricky in a local development environment, but there may be no alternative, given that my Marketplace listing already points the Cloud version of my add-on to a ‘live’ instance.

Because the Atlassian Marketplace currently doesn’t support Paid-via-Atlassian add-ons for BitBucket Cloud. Most add-ons (or Integrations, as they are called in BitBucket Cloud) are geared towards connecting 3rd-party services. That is probably also why they are free, because the end-user will be paying for the 3rd party service through a subscription model.

If you want to release a stand-alone add-on for BitBucket Cloud, like our Git Flow Chart, and want to have some return on investment, you will have to implement your own licensing.

1 Like