This is a new low with regard to the Atlassian Marketplace review process

Soo… I guess we’ve reached a new low with regard to A) what type of community we want to be and B) the complete lack of standards of the App review process.

We just noticed that Bitband, Atlassian Solution Partner and Atlassian Marketplace Gold Partner, has simply copy/pasted the Getting Started page of one of our apps (incl. our logo) for use in their own app. This has passed the review process.

In addition, they are also using verifiably fake reviews, meaning that Atlassian is in direct violation of EU Directive 2019/2161.

40 Likes

No high hopes here to see quick and meaningful actions from Atlassian, but I can’t stress enough how big of a threat it is for the Marketplace future.

9 Likes

Can Atlassian revoke their Partner program for this breach, or is it allowed under their terms?

2 Likes

If Atlassian wants to run a marketplace, where customers can trust vendors, Atlassian must act on this.

Atlassian marketing is all about trust, and customers must be able to trust that Atlassian vets apps in the marketplace to high standards.

5 Likes

This is all messed up.

And obviously, all the reviews are fake, using stock images.

Here’s just an sample:

8 Likes

And it’s not limited to the Figma Jira Integration app. Basically all the 4 star reviews on any of their apps is fake. The only real reviews are the ones that they manually responded to (which also happens to be the 1-2 star reviews).

Given the scope of the Atlassian Marketplace Partner Agreement violation, by an Atlassian Marketplace Gold Partner nonetheless, the only acceptable action by Atlassian at this point would be to revoke the Atlassian Marketplace Partner status of Bitband en remove all their listings.

I understand that this is might seem like an extreme request, and Atlassian is definitely also to blame here, but anything less than a suspension of the Bitband account is an insult to the Atlassian Marketplace Partner community.

CC: @amardesich @tpettersen

21 Likes

Figma is also not the only app where they copied assets, or text.
Similarly, Bitband has a penchant to try and name their apps exactly the same as some of the competition, to the point that we’ve had to report them multiple times to Atlassian about it.

Each time, we’re basically told “tough luck, solve it yourself”.

2 Likes

I hope that it will now be different. Not only because of the formal Copyright and Trademark violation report we will be filing, but also because I’m sure that the Dutch consumer authority will be more than happy to take Atlassian BV, the Dutch entity of Atlassian, up for a spin on EU Directive 2019/2161. With all the inflation going on, the Dutch treasury can make good use of the 2 Million dollar fine (or up to 4% of global revenue).

5 Likes

Hi @remie thank you for flagging this. We do take this very seriously and agree that more action is needed. We will conduct a review of the situation raised here and address violations directly with the partner.

In terms of broader efforts, we have a few workstreams starting up or planned this year around:

• Partner suspension policy and process are currently under development.
  • App listing quality control monitoring after initial app approvals are something we will be building out this year to either close or at least narrow the loophole currently in place of partners changing information after Atlassian reviews.
  • Reactive approach to fake reviews is something we’re started to pilot monitoring for and so far it has led us to take action against certain apps we plan to continue to expand in this area.
  • Proactive approach to validated user reviews, our product teams are working on changes to our app review infrastructure to validate reviews are being left by those who have actually used the app.

These are all areas we will share more as we make progress.

4 Likes

Thank you for picking this up. As the infringed party, can you please make sure that we are notified of any action that will result in the removal of our copyright material?

5 Likes

@remie yes, as an impacted party to this we will make sure to close the loop on aspects that relate to your company with you as we work through this one.

4 Likes

To be honest, I’m still reeling by the audacity of these people. I know there are a lot of changes in the works @amardesich but you might want to have a second look at that timeline, because at this point I would say the Atlassian Marketplace is no longer a trust-worthy e-commerce platform.

Have a look at their Miro integration app, with 212 installs. In the details section of their listing, they are actively referencing a fake review:

We’ve always been aware of the fact that the review system was… euhm… error prone, and probably every partner has had the occasional “friendly” review by acquaintances. There are also plenty of stories about partners leaving negative reviews for competitor apps. That may not be very chique, but usually it is within boundaries. But this vendor account is basically almost completely fake, and they managed to become Gold partner probably in part because of it.

The Atlassian Marketplace Partner community and our mutual customers deserve better.

6 Likes

Thank you @remie we will review this one as well.

2 Likes

Ok, one more and then i will leave you alone.

You reckon Uber actually has Peter the product manager on their payroll? :joy::joy::joy:

7 Likes

@amardesich - do you have actual timelines for any of the things you listed?

I am mainly asking, because I reported this exact vendor and other violations last year, and this was bubbled up to @chparker in August/September last year. Given that marketplace approvals aren’t really fixed, and the very same vendor I reported before hasn’t been forced to fix any of their blatant violations makes me question what is going to be different going forward than the last 12 months when Atlassian said they were working on it?

As an example of additional issues besides what Remie reported:

The Atlassian brand guidelines state the following:

It’s also important to make sure you are not making unsubstantiated claims in your marketing. This includes advertising, website copy, social media, sales decks, digital marketing, etc. Avoid subjective terms like best. Instead, use factual claims that demonstrate your success. Focus on what makes you/your app unique. Make it clear what you are offering the customer and why they should use your app.

Clearly, this is not being honored in many (or most) of their apps. Examples: Slack Integration, Gitlab Integration, Jira+GIt Integration, and the list goes on.

7 Likes

I am totally shocked by all of this. This company has shown that there is no level that they won’t sink to. If this is not worth a total ban from the Marketplace (for all of their apps) then I don’t know what is. If they aren’t banned then everyone will be jumping in (I hear that the head of Google development has been using up my apps for a while now). For me personally, if they are not dealt with harshly then this will erode a lot of the trust I have in the Marketplace as a safe place to list my apps

EDIT: Someone suggested that their apps are hidden so they can’t be found on the Marketplace. I’d accept that over removal as it affects the customers less

5 Likes

@amardesich this is good to hear! Where would be the right way to report those? ECOHELP? Is there an escalation in place? In the end those are fooling customers and hurting both our business and the trust that people place in the Ecosystem.

Asking as we’ve been affected by similar situations in the past and improvements were promised as long as 3-4 years ago (discussed with Warren ad Justin back than…)

2 Likes

I do not have anything particular to add but want to make sure this get’s the attention it deserves and speak up.
It could become a turning point if the atlassian marketplace becomes a trusted app store like apple or a store full of scam / copyright infringements like the Windows store.

6 Likes

@amardesich Can you tell us what happens with reviews that are flagged as inappropriate?

Obviously it would be best if reviews would be verified by default but as long as that is not done actively it would be great for others to at least be able to flag a review as being fake. I’ve flagged numerous reviews as inappropriate but have never seen anything happen with them.

When we get to the point where Atlassian is actively going to stop fake reviews from being shared, maybe start with a simple check that it should be impossible to have more reviews than installs - which is what is happening with some apps right now.

Edit: As Remie just pointed out to me, it is possible to have more reviews than installs because a user leaves the review, not the company, but still, it should raise flags when an app with 5 installs receives 5 reviews within 4 weeks after it was released.

3 Likes

I started to learn plugin development on Jira this May… reading this community, I thought “why is Remie so critical of Atlassian”… now I’m beginning to understand.

9 Likes