TypeScript: Love it or hate it?

Hey @ibuchanan, I selected the “Favored option” for the last question, but I think this could be misunderstood.

For me, this means Forge interfaces and libraries are well-typed (no any types like today) and documented to be clear about what they do and what they do not do, what errors to expect, etc. The better this interface is, the better downstream apps can be. This is one place where Atlassian’s Typescript focus should be.

The question, however, should not be understood as Forge should support Typescript natively. In my eyes, compiling Typescript is the developer’s job, not that of the Forge platform. This will undoubtedly also lead to situations where Atlassian holds us hostage on a specific Typescript version (AtlasKit - React 16.8 :wink:).

In essence, that’s repeating the same point I made three years ago: Resolution & Jexo Forge Hackathon Findings - #14 by tbinna

As already outlined, simply “adding” more Typescript to the Forge platform (apart from library typing) does nothing in my eyes. If Atlassian wants to invest more in this, I think Atlassian should take another step back and look at Forge app tooling more generally. Setting up a Forge project is the first step every developer has to tackle. Doing this in a well-structured manner with Typescript support, Custom UI building, etc., is a really time-consuming task. This is where Atlassian could contribute to improving Typescript support from the ground up and help every Forge developer.
I am leaving some links below that underline this point, which I have made a few times in the past and ultimately led to Nx Forge:

3 Likes