User-agent value erroneous

Jira Cloud is sending the following User-Agent header to our add-on:

User-Agent: Atlassian HttpClient unknown / JIRA-1001.0.0-SNAPSHOT (100059) / Default

Our application server is reporting the following error:

Illegal header: Illegal 'user-agent' header: Invalid input '/', expected WSP, CRLF, product-or-comment or 'EOI' (line 1, column 64): Atlassian HttpClient unknown / JIRA-1001.0.0-SNAPSHOT (100059) / Atlassian-Connect/1.3.238

It appears that the application server is choking on the second ā€˜/ā€™ in the User-Agent string.

Should I be reporting this as a bug in a Jira instance somewhere?

1 Like

@david.pinn, you should indeed. Please use our Developer Service Desk to report it.

What surprises me about this is that we seem to have been sending this header for the past five yearsā€¦

Done. Thanks @epehrson.

Perhaps its just that other application server frameworks have been more forgiving. Weā€™ve just upgraded to Play Framework 2.6, which replaces Netty with Akka HTTP Server. The message appears in the logs, but it isnā€™t affecting functionality as far as I can see.

1 Like

@david.pinn do you know if this issue has been resolved?

Yes, I believe it has been resolved.

Well, maybe I spoke too soon. Itā€™s being tracked here: JRACLOUD-67600. At present, that issue is in ā€œVerifiedā€ status. All the same, Iā€™m not seeing the error messages in my log file, and ngrok is showing me that much more conventional User-Agent headers are coming through from my development Jira instance.

Ok cool, Iā€™ll have a peek at my logs. Thanks for the issue reference!

Bad news. I was apparently mistaken: the problem persists. Just saw this:

[WARN] [10/16/2017 21:45:17.694] [play-dev-mode-akka.actor.default-dispatcher-277] [akka.actor.ActorSystemImpl(play-dev-mode)] Illegal header: Illegal 'user-agent' header: Invalid input '/', expected WSP, CRLF, product-or-comment or 'EOI' (line 1, column 64): Atlassian HttpClient unknown / JIRA-1001.0.0-SNAPSHOT (100065) / Default