What's the "correct" way to make my plugin UI communicate with my Java classes?

So here’s what I’m trying to achieve: A space owner in confluence should be able to decide whether the functionality of our plugin is available to users in that specific space.
We’ve got a little UI for that (just a toggle button to turn the functionality on or off in the space preferences). Now in order for that button to actually display and be able to change the value, I added a rest module that allows us to get or set this permission in the Java Class.
This works fine, but I have to problems with this approach:

1: Now every user would be able to change or view this permission value with a simple URL query. And I don’t know how adding authentication to that rest module would work.
2: This seems unnecessarily complicated for such a simple task. Is there an easier way to do this?

I’d be grateful for any kind of help!
Thanks, Jonas

You will call the permissionManager in your REST resource and ask if that user is a space admin, if not you return an error.

permissionManager.hasPermission(AuthenticatedUserThreadLocal.get(), Permission.ADMINISTER, space)

Not very complicated

1 Like

1: Checking Space Permissions

You have to check server sided, if the current user is a space admin in the current space (I assume the space key is a request param). The SpacePermissionManager is a way to check that

spacePermissionManager.hasPermission(SpacePermission.ADMINISTER_SPACE_PERMISSION, space, user);

2: REST vs. Action

The approach with a REST resource seems fine to me (alternatively this could be done with a custom action).

The REST service is better in my eyes, as you might call it from “outside” the view e.g. with a script (if you want to enable it for serveral space).

Thanks! I appreciate the help. We’re doing this as a college project so none of us are super experienced with Confluence and it can be a little confusing at times.

Also IntelliJ doesn’t accept ConfluenceUser as a parameter for the user in hasPermission(), only a User object even though ConfluenceUser extends User. It just tells me “cannot resolve method hasPermission()…” When I use the deprecated getUser() it works fine. Any idea why this could be happening?

Maybe this helps: https://docs.atlassian.com/atlassian-user/2.0/apidocs/com/atlassian/user/UserManager.html

ConfluenceUser confluenceUser = AuthenticatedUserThreadLocal.get();
		try {
			User user = userManager.getUser(confluenceUser.getName());
		} catch (EntityException e) {
			e.printStackTrace();
		}

Thanks! It ended up just being some IntelliJ weirdness, it works after a restart.