Why there is 3 types of installation for my product?

Hey everyone. I recently notice that when I install my app on a domain, the list of installation shows me 3 different types of that specific app, even though I only install my app as a “Jira” product.

I want to know what is the difference between them?

{01EAB26D-B614-4D03-8887-1FEB8D9F8679}.png

Environments are where you deploy your app. Once an app is running in an environment, you can install it from that environment on to an Atlassian site with forge install .

We recommend using the development environment for testing your changes, staging for a stable version of your app, and production as the version of your app that’s ready for use.

By default, the CLI will run commands for the development environment unless you specify another with the --environment flag.

While your app is deployed to development, your app title will have the suffix (DEVELOPMENT) . Similarly, while your app is deployed to staging, it will have the suffix (STAGING) . Once you deploy your app to production, your app title will no longer have any suffix.

From https://developer.atlassian.com/platform/forge/environments/

Initially, there should be no difference (aside from access restrictions mentioned in that documentation). But it is intended to give you the ability to have an app under development installed on a single instance that you can make changes to without it affecting your production or staging apps. Reminds me of The Twelve-Factor App.

1 Like

Just to add an additional clarification here, the Identity and Ecosystem installations are internal-only installations that are necessary for the Jira (or Confluence) installation. That is, they come with the Jira installation, so if you were to uninstall the Jira installation, they will also get uninstalled together with it.

Since they are internal-only, and shouldn’t ever be needed by the app developer, we may look to hide them from the CLI altogether in the future.

3 Likes