Add custom field to a nextgen project via the API

When using the UI it is possible to pick an existing custom field or create a new one and add it to an issue type screen.
Is it also possible to do it via the API?

I’ve managed to do the equivalent for a classic project but when trying for a nextgen project I receive an error saying that it can’t find the projectId.

For the classic project I was able to use
/v3/api-group-screen-tab-fields/#api-rest-api-2-screens-screenid-tabs-tabid-fields-post
to achieve this.

Is there a workaround for nextgen projects?

Thanks

1 Like

Not able to provide a reply , but also looking for an option to add a custom field to a Team Managed (next-gen) project.

For Company Managed (classic), you can also access (and update) the custom field by using https://developer.atlassian.com/cloud/jira/platform/rest/v2/api-group-issue-field-configurations/#api-group-issue-field-configurations . Could not find any open ticket on allowing next-gen, or a related workaround.

@Atlassian, if this is not possible, can a related ticket be provided so that we can update our pages (That feature X is dependant on Issue Y, etc.)

1 Like

Another vote for an API to add custom fields to team managed issue types.

Hello @JensSchumacher1 , @DennyMiller and @JoelTurner

This question comes up from time to time. There are currently no REST API endpoints for adding custom fields to Team Managed (NextGen) projects. You’re still limited to using the GUI to do it.

Essentially, custom fields for Company Managed projects belong to the whole Jira instance and get allocated to the projects via configuration schemes, which give them a context per project, but for Team Managed projects, custom fields belong to that project only, and are ‘scheme-less’, so to speak. I’m not sure how it will work behind the scenes for global custom fields for Team Managed projects.

Refer to this article for an understanding of why this is, and for links to the tickets to track the issue. .

2 Likes

That article is from 2018 and doesn’t really go into detail on the difficulties. I’d hope it’s gotten easier since global custom field support came to Team Managed Projects.

1 Like

I think I might add this as a question to the press release about Global Custom Fields for Team Managed projects.