API for Release 'Related work' links

I noted in the Jira UI today that one can add ‘Related Work’ links to a release. But I can’t find an API to add these links in an automated manner. I would expect to find that API under ‘Project Versions’ (e.g. here: https://developer.atlassian.com/cloud/jira/platform/rest/v3/api-group-project-versions/). Am I looking in the wrong place? If there’s not an API available today, is there one in-plan?

2 Likes

Hey @PatrickConant, welcome to the Atlassian Developer Community!

For the initial release of this Related work feature there are unfortunately no public APIs to add or modify these links. I have reached out to the team behind this feature to see whether these APIs are on their roadmap. I will post an update here when I have more information to share.

I hope that helps :slight_smile:

Jonathon

1 Like

I have heard back from the team and they hope to introduce a public REST API for ‘Related work’ in the near future. They are also happy to hear about the interest in this feature! We should be able to share an update here when this is available.

I can also note that ‘Related work’ is accessible today using the Atlassian GraphQL API with the same queries that the Jira UI performs. The caveat is that the relevant fields are marked as beta and could be broken by a backwards-incompatible change. As such I would recommend to wait for the REST API if possible.

Let me know if you have any other questions :smiley:

1 Like

Great – thanks for the update, Jonathon. I’ll sit tight until the feature is exposed in the REST API.

Would love this feature as well… we are looking at ways to create links between communications in confluence and jira releases automatically, and there’s not a really good/easy way that we’ve found to integrate those two ideas. The roadmaps feature works well, but not unfortunately not at the level our org is specifically looking for. By allowing us to pull related work via jira api, we could create our own automated update process vs. creating a map that lives externally. :pinched_fingers:

Is there any update on this?

1 Like

@JonathonGrigg , for the Release Related Work REST API is there a feature request where we can +1 the request?

Hi all, thanks for your patience and interest in this feature! I have followed up with the team and we now have this feature request you can watch for future updates: [JSWCLOUD-24200] REST API for "Related work" feature on Jira versions/releases - Create and track feature requests for Atlassian products.

1 Like