API should return a field's property

I’d like to receive a response containing only a few properties of a specific field, not the whole json response. ie author of a comment, or body of a comment.

Currently, I’m using ‘fields’ in the query params to filter the returned fields. I found a not working idea, but it might make it easier for you to understand what I need :

The idea is to include these in the query params at ‘fields’: comment.comments.author || comment.comments.body

How am I able to get returned just the author and the body of a comment?

I think the closest you are going to get with this is the expand concept as documented here: https://developer.atlassian.com/cloud/jira/platform/rest/v3/intro#expansion

Aside from convenience on your end, can you expand on why you only want certain fields back?

Thank you. Because of the size of responses, it is possible I can get a lot of issues back, so I wanted to shrink the size a bit. So basically because of speed.

If I understand correctly expand only works on expandable parts of a resource. So its not possible to get less back, only to get back more, specified parts, which wouldnt be returned by default, right?