App required to be open at all times

Hi all,

First of all I’m new here and this is my first time trying to build a custom app in Jira, so sorry if the terminology is not correct.

I’m tying to build a Jira Cloud app that should be installed in the customer account as an add-on.

Basically what I want to do, is making this app available at all times while the user navigates between issues, projects, etc.

Imagine a chat widget at the bottom right corner of the screen that is opened always no matter what page the user is in (what I’m trying to build is not a chat app).

Something like the image below, a small window with information and actions that are available to the user at all times:

From what I investigated it seems that there is no way to do this, and the location of you app is fixed to a specific page or section inside a page (web items, web sections and web panels as explained here: https://developer.atlassian.com/cloud/jira/platform/extending-the-user-interface/) and when you navigate to another link, then your app is closed.

Is there a way to do this? Hope my explanation is clear.

Thanks in advance!

Hello @agustin.tamagno,

Your investigation is perfectly valid. Jira Cloud does not allow to build anything except pages/sections/panels in specific locations only.

So, you cannot build a chat-like window from your screenshot.

The best location for your app could be left blue navigation panel. You can use this plugin to find the location name/value: Web Fragment Finder | Atlassian Marketplace

I hope this helps and saves you some time.

Cheers,
Jack

3 Likes

Thank you @jack!

That’s all I needed to know. I’ll try another location and see how it works out.

Cheers,
Agus