Apps fail to load due to timeouts

Only one such report so far, but what’s interesting is that Atlassian support couldn’t reproduce when connecting you the same platform. Looks like the error “sticks” to the browser even after a refresh. But investigation is still underway.

1 Like

In our case three report from customer… once this issue start it will continue till 30-45 min. after that its start working… Some time our internal development team also face the same issue with same duration.

2 Likes

@dmorrow we had 3 cases reported by different customers for different Apps, reported on the dates:

I would like to note that “extremely rare” is a subjective definition :slight_smile:

Unfortunately, we are only aware of the cases that are reported by the customers (which could be just a vocal minority). The problem is that this error doesn’t seem to be logged anywhere (and technically, if our Apps don’t receive a request which seems to be the case — we can’t log it, so there is no way to tell the frequency of the error occurrence).

I don’t mind the fact that there may be issues, but I find it very frustrating that customers are being told to contact the developer for support.

image%20(9)

clockify

3 Likes

Hi,

I’ve been seeing this issue too in the last couple of weeks with our app ScriptRunner for Jira Cloud. It consistently appears around the start of day when my browser re-opens with yesterday’s tabs but it also re-appears after a few hours of use. Clearing my cache and closing the browser fixes it but this issue always comes back. I suspected it might be related to caching, seeing others with the same issue is somewhat comforting as hopefully Atlassian will look into a solution as this is indeed very frustrating.

Thanks,

Ryan

3 Likes

We are also observing this in one of our instances. The interesting thing is, that is does only appear in the issue popup:

If we open the issue in a new window, it loads without problems.

1 Like

Atlassian staff, I know the root cause might not be easy to find, but please fix it - we are already getting negative reviews for what customers think is our failure and I’m sure other vendors are also getting such reviews.

5 Likes

We’re seeing something similar quite often. Here’s an incident thread we created before being aware of this other thread: https://community.developer.atlassian.com/t/apps-including-automation-for-jira-do-not-load-and-show-an-error-message/40639/8

Last customer reporting this was today August 19 2020 at 10:40 BST. And the customer came back 10 minutes later saying that after clearing cache the app started working again. This is not OK tbh, customers having to clear caches to make apps work, most will just drop the tool thinking is broken given that native pages work. And they’ll wind up giving bad reviews like @maciek pointed out.

As mentioned in the thread I linked to, we had one of our devices experience this and it wasn’t only our apps but any apps on that device failed to load, including Automation for Jira, whilst native pages worked fine. So might be related to connect service…

I also raised a ecosystem ticket on 20th July about this which was just answered today: Jira Service Management

1 Like

Hey @dmorrow, Again two cloud instance was impacted causing “Something’s gone wrong”. it’s start work after 10-20 min.

we also raised support ticket yesterday. https://getsupport.atlassian.com/servicedesk/customer/portal/23/JST-598252

1 Like

Hi @dmorrow,

Our customers are still reporting the problem. However, it is not as frequent as it was 3-5 weeks ago. Now we get around 1 report every second day.

So, if Jira team was adding some improvements, that worked. But the problem is still there so we would be grateful for some more work on it.

Thanks,
Jack

Hi @jack,

Thanks for the update. I don’t think there have been any intentional improvements, but the team is still investigating this under ACJS-1134.

Regards,
Dugald

Hi @dmorrow,

I am wondering if we have 2 different cases here, I will explain ours. Our customer can’t open the app. Clicking on the link shows the loader for a minute and then shows an error message:

The problem seems to come and go. During the time the link was not working, on the app’s server side we didn’t get any GET messages - even the GET to render the page. Therefore I believe it is not a problem with all.js itself, but something with Jira not sending the request for the page (as mentioned earlier it may be a different case that some vendors have).

What we also noticed: strange redirect. When you click on link it starts with https://companyname.jira.com/projects/DWM?selectedItem=com.atlassian.plugins.atlassian-connect-plugin:com.intenso.jira.issue-templates__create-issue-from-template-project-page
After a few seconds the URL changes to https://companyname.jira.com/projects/DWM?selectedItem=com.atlassian.plugins.atlassian-connect-plugin%3Acom.intenso.jira.issue-templates__create-issue-from-template-project-page

Two things to notice:

1. after a few seconds “:” is replaced with %3.
  2. Url of instance - companyname.jira.com is (I guess) in older format, however we have experienced the same problem on our new instances as well

Further findings:

1. Sometimes clearing cache helps, sometimes not.
  2. At the same time, the page under project is not working, other pages, e.g. admin pages of the app are working.
  3. We got first report about this on August 14, 2020, 7:55 PM
4 Likes

Hi @maciej.dudziak,

Thanks for these details. I created [ACJIRA-2195] - Ecosystem Jira a few weeks ago for odd change in the URL. I’ll see if I can get some action on this.

Regards,
Dugald

1 Like

Hi @dmorrow,

One of our user also log this strange behaviour after click on any link on app. URL got changed. Also make note it’s just intermittent and not every time reproducible.

Working URL:

Faulty URL:

Thanks,
Umang

1 Like

@umang.savaliya, thanks for also adding a comment to the issue.

1 Like

Just adding that some of our customers are seeing this issue as well.

1 Like

Update

Over the last month we’ve run an extended investigation and made several improvements, but don’t believe we’ve found all the causes of the recent increased number of apps failing to load since August.

In particular, we haven’t found any evidence that our CDN that serves all.js is to blame.

We’re in the process of building out additional analytics to help us isolate the cause and hope to have data from those soon

The issue is affecting our customers and us vendors since early August. Customers blame us, what we can see not only in the AMKT reviews (see this comment) but mostly in the support cases we have to deal with.

If the message on the screenshot below comes from Jira, it should be pretty easy to start the investigation from the exact place that prints it.

Yet, almost three months passed, and Atlassian admits to spending only 1 month on the issue, closes the main part of the investigation with no results at all to the main problem.

I can’t express how disappointed I’m am. And I can’t imagine ourselves doing the same to our customers.

Let me quote one of the other vendors (I hope they don’t mind). It is a perfect summary of the vendors-Atlassian relationship.

i think each Atlassian team should have to spend 1 week in “vendor jail”… where they are tasked with doing the things we do, only given the resources we get, and they are not allowed to ask for internal help. CDAC and non-responsive support tickets only

8 Likes

@dmorrow, @dboyd, any progress regarding the timeouts problem, please?

Sadly, the issue is not gone. We still get support cases with customers reporting the very same issue - apps simply fail to load and time out.

Hi @jack and @maciek,

I can confirm that the development team are still actively working on this issue. I will ask the team to pro-actively share progress.

Regards,
Dugald

6 Likes