Automation for Jira via REST API

Hi

Is it possible to create, update, delete automation rules via the api - Jira Automation | Atlassian OR any kind of interaction via the REST API with Automation for Jira?

Our goal is to try standardise the way processes, workflows, etc work across the Jira cloud site.

Any help, feedback, resources will be appreciated.

Thank you
Yatish

3 Likes

Hi all. I wonder if anyone has feedback or are facing the same on this?

Hi there, again any focus or attention this please? Thank you

@YatishMadhav,

I confirm that other people want what you are asking:

Which caused one of the Automation for Jira founders to open an issue:

https://codebarrel.atlassian.net/browse/AUT-999

Please watch, vote, and comment.

2 Likes

Thank you @ibuchanan - it is a little confusing but thanks for that reply. I think the idea is to ensure that newly created projects have existing rules applied to them, instead of newly created ones. is that possible? i.e. we create a project via REST API and then want to link specifc existing rules.

Hi there. Any update on this … I cannot seem to comment on that post. Thank you

@YatishMadhav If you want existing rules(A4J rules) to be applied to newly created projects, then it can be done by applying those rules “Globally” instead of assigning it to specific projects when Jira project is created.

Thanks @VishalKharde - yeah, we have resorted to that over time. But what we want to do is if a rule is applied to x number of projects, we may want to add it to another project via API.

Hi - a few years back I was working with rather complex Automation Rules, and decided that modifying them in JSON format would be more reliable than me trying to remember every field/user setting, etc. I might need to change across 20-30 different blocks.

If you develop a specific set of rules you want applied to a new project, you might be able to develop scripts to generate a set of those rules in JSON based on a template (you would need to change the projectId and probably add the project name/key to each Rule name so they are unique).

Once you generate that JSON, you could import it after project creation. Admittedly it’s not as easy or useful as an API, but it’s what we currently have.

I documented this a bit about this here: Hacking/Parsing Automation Rules with JSON for Fun and Profit

1 Like

Thanks for that, @DarrylLee1 - I will have a look at that solution as soon as I can. It does look promising even though there is some manual actions required.