Backslash in comment rendered as <br ... /> in renderedFields

Leaving a comment with a backslash on a Jira issue: backslash in comment: \ let’s see what happens returns the following in renderedFields: <p>backslash in comment: <br class="atl-forced-newline" /> let’s see what happens</p>.

API call: GET /rest/api/2/search?jql=<JQL here>&fields=*all&expand=renderedFields,transitions

Is this expected behavior? I would expect the backslash to be visible, like it is on the web.

What happens when you try to escape the backslash with another backslash?

2 Likes

Commenting on the web: from Jira double backslash: \\ asdf the API returns the rendered html: <p>from Jira double backslash: \\\\ asdf</p>.

Also, it appears that posting a comment via the API with a single backslash works as expected but with a double backslash causes the same issue on Jira web as well.

Viewed on Jira web: first two comments posted via the API, second two comments created on Jira web.

I’m not 100% sure if any of those are suitable workarounds, if not, probably best to raise a DEVHELP ticket.

Hi, we are also experiencing this so a comment/description with a backslash will rendered differently on our side and not the same with in the JIRA issue view. Since the REST API will return an incorrect rendered format.

I’m not sure if this ticket is for Jira cloud but my comment is for JIra cloud

@StevenPila,

How does your client POST the comment? Which API and format?