@BeforeClass on integration tests: Static or not?

I’ve been using plugin test runner 2.0.0 for a while and wanted to upgrade to 2.0.2 (so I can use JUnit 4.12). My current dependencies in pom.xml include:

<dependency>
    <groupId>com.atlassian.plugins</groupId>
    <artifactId>atlassian-plugins-osgi-testrunner</artifactId>
    <version>2.0.2</version>
    <scope>test</scope>
</dependency>
<dependency>
    <groupId>junit</groupId>
    <artifactId>junit</artifactId>
    <version>4.12</version>
    <scope>test</scope>
</dependency>

However, it started failing, complaining that the @BeforeClass methods should be static.

For example, my test looks like this:

@RunWith(AtlassianPluginsTestRunner.class)
public class CanaryITest {
    @BeforeClass
    public void sayHello() {
        System.out.println("Hello, world");
    }

@Test
    public void testCanary() {
        assertThat(true).isTrue();
    }
}

Now it’s crashing with (executing from IntelliJ IDEA):

java.lang.Exception: Method sayHello() should be static

at org.junit.runners.model.FrameworkMethod.validatePublicVoid(FrameworkMethod.java:93)
	at org.junit.runners.model.FrameworkMethod.validatePublicVoidNoArg(FrameworkMethod.java:74)
	at org.junit.runners.ParentRunner.validatePublicVoidNoArgMethods(ParentRunner.java:155)
	at org.junit.runners.ParentRunner.collectInitializationErrors(ParentRunner.java:125)
	at org.junit.runners.BlockJUnit4ClassRunner.collectInitializationErrors(BlockJUnit4ClassRunner.java:124)
	at org.junit.runners.ParentRunner.validate(ParentRunner.java:416)
	at org.junit.runners.ParentRunner.<init>(ParentRunner.java:84)
	at org.junit.runners.BlockJUnit4ClassRunner.<init>(BlockJUnit4ClassRunner.java:65)
	at com.atlassian.plugins.osgi.test.AtlassianPluginsTestRunner.<init>(AtlassianPluginsTestRunner.java:59)

The only documentation I found is clearly outdated: https://developer.atlassian.com/server/framework/atlassian-sdk/run-wired-tests-with-the-plugin-test-console/.

Am I doing something wrong, or did this just break with PTR 2.0.2? What is the lifecycle of these tests today - does it match JUnit, with static @BeforeClass, followed by constructor, followed by non-static @Before?

Did you manage to find something out about this, yet? I just ran into the same issue…