Bitbucket-maven-plugin and files in /target/bitbucket/home

Today I was attempting to change /target/bitbucket/home/logback.xml to enable debugging and in the process observed some strange interaction between atlas-run, bitbucket-maven-plugin and /target/bitbucket/home:

1. Creating /target/bitbucket/home/logback.xml early in the build with maven-resource-plugin[1] results in all of the data in /target/bitbucket/home being missing as expected
  2. If I try to be sneaky and use <phase>package</phase> so that my file is copied after the homedir is created but before bitbucket is started, then logback.xml is created but now I’m missing the test data and my plugin - there are a bunch of other files in /target/bitbucket/home but I cannot see the demo repository [2]
  3. Inside /target/bitbucket/home/NOTE, there is a message saying that the directory is based on the contents of bitbucket-it-resources.zip… I was able to get files into this zip file by dumping them into ${project.build.directory}/bitbucket/tmp-resources/generated-resources/bitbucket-home by changing outputDirectory. This worked for new files but not ones that I wanted to modify (eg logback.xmlx can be updated but logback.xml always has the content from upstream (it must be written after the local files are gathered…)
  4. I tried to modify the content of bitbucket-it-resources.zip after it was created but before bitbucket was started using truezip-maven-plugin [3]:
  5. <phase>package</phase> or <phase>test</phase> results in a tiny bitbucket-it-resources.zip containing only logback.xml (breaks plugin)
  6. <phase>pre-integration-test</phase> does not appear to be executed as part of atlas-run
  7. I was unable to identify a suitable phase to run the repacking at the right time, using mvn fr.jcgay.maven.plugins:buildplan-maven-plugin:list to work out timings
  8. Searching for AMPS tickets, I found Atlassian Maven Plugin Suite - Issues - Ecosystem Jira which describes a very simple override procedure that negates the need for all of the above: create “override” files in src/test/resources/bitbucket-home and they will be copied into place.

My questions are:

1. Why wasn’t I able to just copy a file into the homedir after it had been unpacked (2)? There were no visible errors, the process just seems to die somewhere. I feel like there is an execption being swallowed somewhere but nothing was jumping out at me in AbstractProductHandler. It would be nice to be able to just dump files into this directory and have them be used unless there is a reason why this can’t be?
  2. (To satisify my curiosity) is there a phase/maven trick that would have let me alter the zip file at just the right point so that it could have an updated logback.xml
  3. Is there anyone from Atlassian who can update the docs https://developer.atlassian.com/server/framework/atlassian-sdk/writing-your-first-plugin-faq/#using-your-own-log4j-configuration-for-your-plugin since Log4J doesn’t work with Bitbucket? I already added a note at Logging in a plugin for Bitbucket server?
  4. The override mechanism is useful but doesn’t seem to be documented anywhere… Am I missing something?

Thanks!

SDK info

ATLAS Version:    8.0.16
ATLAS Home:       /usr/share/atlassian-plugin-sdk-8.0.16
ATLAS Scripts:    /usr/share/atlassian-plugin-sdk-8.0.16/bin
ATLAS Maven Home: /usr/share/atlassian-plugin-sdk-8.0.16/apache-maven-3.5.4
AMPS Version:     8.0.2
--------
Executing: /usr/share/atlassian-plugin-sdk-8.0.16/apache-maven-3.5.4/bin/mvn --version -gs /usr/share/atlassian-plugin-sdk-8.0.16/apache-maven-3.5.4/conf/settings.xml
Apache Maven 3.5.4 (1edded0938998edf8bf061f1ceb3cfdeccf443fe; 2018-06-18T04:33:14+10:00)
Maven home: /usr/share/atlassian-plugin-sdk-8.0.16/apache-maven-3.5.4
Java version: 1.8.0_161, vendor: Oracle Corporation, runtime: /usr/local/jdk1.8.0_161/jre
Default locale: en_AU, platform encoding: UTF-8
OS name: "linux", version: "5.0.0-25-generic", arch: "amd64", family: "unix"

[1] maven-resources-plugin - copy a file

<plugin>
        <artifactId>maven-resources-plugin</artifactId>
        <executions>
            <execution>
                <id>override-logback.xml</id>
                <phase>compile</phase>
                <goals>
                    <goal>copy-resources</goal>
                </goals>
                <configuration>
                    <outputDirectory>${project.build.directory}/bitbucket/home</outputDirectory>
                    <overwrite>true</overwrite>
                    <resources>
                        <resource>
                            <directory>.</directory>
                            <includes>
                                <include>logback.xml</include>
                            </includes>
                        </resource>
                    </resources>
                </configuration>
            </execution>
        </executions>
    </plugin>

[2] How to find the demo repository

find target -name 'repository-config'

[3] truezip-maven-plugin - repack the zip

<plugin>
        <groupId>org.codehaus.mojo</groupId>
        <artifactId>truezip-maven-plugin</artifactId>
        <version>1.2</version>
        <executions>
            <execution>
                <id>fix-crazy-logging</id>
                <goals>
                    <goal>copy</goal>
                </goals>
                <phase>package</phase>
                <configuration>
                    <files>
                        <file>
                            <source>${project.basedir}/logback.xml</source>
                            <outputDirectory>${project.build.directory}/bitbucket/bitbucket-it-resources.zip/generated-resources/bitbucket-home</outputDirectory>
                        </file>
                    </files>
                </configuration>
            </execution>
        </executions>
    </plugin>